title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Quote Originally Posted by amosh View Post
    As far as I am aware, AirPort Extreme doesn't support UPNP. I tried that configuration removing my BT HomeHub router and connecting the Airport Extreme directly to the fibre optic modem and could not see my UPNP servers from any renderer. Put the Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode (so it still delivers your wifi) and re-introduce a non-Apple router to provide DHCP and all was good again. After much web research I came to conclusion Apple routers don't properly support UPNP. If anyone can explain in detail how I can run UPNP with just Apple Routers I can save some electricity:smile2:.

As Spoon said it is definitely worth checking in System Prefs if you have EyeConnect on your Mac. That had me confounded for ages because I had never knowingly installed it but it was blocking Asset. EyeTV in my case had added EyeConnect automatically. With EyeConnect running, Asset is crippled although there are workarounds - see earlier in this forum.
    Hi amosh,

my opinion about EyeTV - especially regarding communication between any "iDevice" as a remote client and it's "server component" on a Mac - is different from your approach. This may be caused that I also keep a large amount of movies played once on TV saved for future viewing, and I have found that EyeTV does a suitable job in recording, cutting out some unwanted commercials and finally archiving the material, together with some meta data also transmitted via TV. Especially compared to the method I used before (recording on a dedicated hard disk satellite receiver, then transferred to a PC, then converted into DVD format and afterwards cut to the "clean" movie and finally converted into a H.264 mp4-format was somewhat more time consuming ;-). But that's personal preferences.

Anyhow, I was now quite surprised when I changed to the actual beta of Asset [0.12 (1)] after removing it's previous version: At the time of installing it EyeTV was up and running, and EyeConnect was not disabled at this time. And - guess what - the newly installed Asset started without any error. I thought that either Mr. Spoon found a solution for this problem or it was removed by Elgato, since they recently released many updates [EyeTV on the Mac is 3.6.4 (7306), EyeTV on iPad is actually 2.0 (814) and EyeTV netstream is now 2.0 (412)]. To ensure my opinion I did some reboots, but still no problem with Asset. But ...

As there was pointed out somewhere that in earlier versions Asset came up only if Twonky was running, I wanted to be sure that Twonky was "disabled" (meaning that it still could be installed on the Mac, but it should not be auto-started within the user profile as well as that it should not be visible as a UPnP server). And: Both of these conditions were fulfilled. As I found out that Twonky was still installed at this time, I thought that uninstalling it - at least temporarily - could ensure that Twonky could under no circumstances be involved. So I did not simply remove the program from the programs folder, but had an uninstaller used to find if any dependencies were still existing in some other folder(s). And at this time the authorisation of an admin was requested for uninstalling the complete stuff. And, after quitting Asset and restarting it - the well known error message was shown.

For the first moment I thought that this was another proof that EyeConnect was the reason that Asset could not start correctly. So I used the Uninstall Programm supplied by Elgato to remove EyeConnect. As expected, the next try to start Asset was successful. But I did not give up, enabled EyeConnect within EyeTV, connected an iPod to EyeTV, rebooted my Mac thus auto-restarting EyeTV as well as Asset, and: Asset started as expected. Another try - I shut down EyeTV and Asset and did another reboot. Than initiated the start of EyeTV on the Mac by calling it from EyeTV on an iPod, and then starting Asset: No problems with Asset.

This leads me actually to the following opinion:
    - Twonky, if not uninstalled properly, builds, although "not fully" active, something like a bridge that does not harm Asset,
    - EyeConnect, if Twonky is still present, does not allow Asset to start (it seems to use the same port as Asset if Twonky is present),
    - EyeConnect, if Twonky is not present, uses a different port thus allowing Asset to successfully lock to it's desired port.

I do not have enough technical experience or suitable tools to ensure that this theory is correct, but I think that many of us may have tried Twonky as well and may have only removed the program itself, so there might be the prestarted thread of Twonky still active thus preventing the correct start of Asset.

If I remember correctly, you had Twonky installed as well. If you could do a correct re-install, than a correct uninstall using something like "AppCleaner" and afterwards enable EyeConnect within EyeTV and then see whether Asset comes up correctly, this might be helpful to clarify things.

If something changes regarding EyeConnect I will keep you informed accordingly.

Regards,
    Niko

Hi, I would like to ask when can we pay for such a great software. Actually, I am waiting for the premium function such as Playlist.

Thanks for developing a really good product for Mac user.

Administrator

Hopefully very soon.

Hi Niko,

I can see like me you tried a lot of things to resolve this. Sadly my iMac where I was running Asset has died on me and I've had to buy a new one. The new one now has Asset running and will not be seeing Twonky or EyeTV since I'd rather keep it clean. I might install Songbird again because I use Asset to show all my iTunes media library - mostly Apple Lossless and AAC including ALAC 96/24 audio. I have the FLAC original purchases of the HD files I now have in ALAC and it is nice to be able to have an all-HD server running from the same Mac - hence the Songbird. With the full version of Asset I think I can use dynamic browsing and go in via 24 bit depth then see my artists/albums so Songbird might not be required.

Quote Originally Posted by amosh View Post
    As far as I am aware, AirPort Extreme doesn't support UPNP. I tried that configuration removing my BT HomeHub router and connecting the Airport Extreme directly to the fibre optic modem and could not see my UPNP servers from any renderer. Put the Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode (so it still delivers your wifi) and re-introduce a non-Apple router to provide DHCP and all was good again. After much web research I came to conclusion Apple routers don't properly support UPNP. If anyone can explain in detail how I can run UPNP with just Apple Routers I can save some electricity:smile2:.

As Spoon said it is definitely worth checking in System Prefs if you have EyeConnect on your Mac. That had me confounded for ages because I had never knowingly installed it but it was blocking Asset. EyeTV in my case had added EyeConnect automatically. With EyeConnect running, Asset is crippled although there are workarounds - see earlier in this forum.
    Thanks for your note. With Minimserver I have not been running into too may issues as I have learned a little more about tagging and use the Metadatics tool to fix tags and curate my library. As such I no longer use JRiver, just Minimserver and PlugPlayer. I think the issue with the Airport Extreme is the switching and as a result inability to properly stream HiRez files. In between tracks I get pops of scratching noises. So I have decided to get a Netgear GS-108 Ethernet switch and a Synology DS411slim NAS. I will load Asset on the NAS and run my library from it too. Like you recommended I will run the Extreme in bridge mode and see what happens.

Hi! Installed Asset UPnP for Mac (v13) -- says trial 28 days left. I don't see a way to purchase it -- is this not released yet?

Administrator

Not released yet, perhaps this week it is released.

any news?

Administrator

I hope to release OS X and QNAP assets next week.

Hi! Installed Asset beta for Mac week ago on Mac Mini server edition. Have one issue: not all of titles are visible. After launching, asset scanning my library and counts 6751 titles in 660 albums (located on NAS). After I started to play any title on NAIM Superunity, controlled thru n-Stream for iOS, some titles start to be missing, some artists are visible but show "empty" content (there are FLAC files!). Used Playback before, no any issue like that. I relaunched Asset several times, re-scanned library (same story - visible from beginning then disappear) Checked tagging information, didn't notice any special characteristic that can be a reason for "not showing". Would appreciate if You can help me to solve the matter, as Generally I love this software and will be ready to purchase it as soon as available.

Administrator

Are you able to try a different control point to browse asset, to rule out the control point?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Are you able to try a different control point to browse asset, to rule out the control point?
    I did it from different device with iOS, same picture. How shallI sent you debug file with some screenshots, explaining the situation? Can I attach files to forum message or email them?

Administrator

OS X Asset updated to v.13

It is a release candidate now, with a few fixes.

Zereff if you could try this new version, then do a full refresh all of Asset (on the config page).

Hi I installed latest version and so far looks like no missing titles anymore. Will keep watching, report later. Thanks!

Hi all, I am really excited to try Asset after all I've heard (I have had a hard time finding a UPnP app that works well), unfortunately, I am having a problem where it won't even launch properly. I am on Mac OS 10.7.5, Mac Pro 1,1, 16Gb ram, SSD Boot Drive. Let me know if any other computer info is relevant. The problem: when I launch Asset, I immediately get a 'quit unexpectedly' popup, but the Asset window stays. I can click 'Ignore' or 'Reopen' and the dialog goes away. Asset stays open. I can click on configure, make any changes, but when I apply and it asks to restart the app, it just quits. Any changes made do not stick. So even if I apply without telling it to restart, quit the app, and reopen... still no changes have stuck. I was thinking it could be something sticking around from one of the many other server apps I'd tried, so last night I did a clean wipe and re-install. All I did was get the OS updated, get iTunes back up and running, setup a few utilities (Alfred, Steermouse), and it still crashes. I can't get a debug output from Asset since it won't save any changes, but in the Console, it get this when first launching:

ReportCrash: Failed to create CSSymbolicatorRef for Asset UPnP[964]
    ReportCrash: Failed to create dSYM-less CSSymbolicatorRef for Asset UPnP[964]

When it crashes, I get this:
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xe40e4].com.dbpoweramp.Asset-UPnP[952]) Exited abnormally: Broken pipe: 13

Please help me Spoon, you're my only hope!

Let me know if I need to provide any other information.

Thanks,
    Pixelwerx
    Last edited by Pixelwerx; 04-11-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Clarification