title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trial is not going well at all...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hjkaye
    • Oct 2012

Trial is not going well at all...

If this program hadn't come highly recommended I would have given up long ago.

Trying the reference trial, first install found the trial was already expired despite being installed all of 2 minutes. I found a hit on google the program needed to be run as administrator which didn't fix it. So I uninstalled and figured maybe the installer needed to be admin, this seemed to have fixed the trial expiry I THOUGHT.

I am trying to rip a cd and to get the metadata I click the button it says something about needing dbpoweramp reference. This is what I installed I thought.. ?

So the one feature I want to try doesn't work, so I try to rip anyways, every track errors out, mp3 encoder trial expired or some such.. wish I could copy & paste messages but your program doesn't seem to like that.

I don't know how to get this to work, and tried the FAQ and not one question or answer on trial installation... really this should be easier.. REALLY! :vmad:

so far not impressed.. HELP?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Trial is not going well at all...

You need to install into an account with Administrator access rights, if it has expired on an account, create a new user account on windows as administrator and log into that.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
      You need to install into an account with Administrator access rights, if it has expired on an account, create a new user account on windows as administrator and log into that.
      This is Windows 7, My usual account has admin, it didn't work. As I noted in my report I ran the installer with "run as administrator" it didn't help I've run the program as administrator, didn't help.

help?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Have you previously used dBpoweramp? anytime in the past?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
          Have you previously used dBpoweramp? anytime in the past?
          I had downloaded it, I don't think it was installed but not sure. I never did complete a trial if I did, perhaps I had the same problem but I don't really remember using it even once.

I did an uninstall on the current version, it should have reset any settings I would think...?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If previously installed the trial would have been activated at that point, uninstalling will not reactivate the trial.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
              • Oct 2012

It was a prior version, how to reset it then?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It is not possible sorry.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
                  • Oct 2012

does that mean your program made a permanent change to my computer ?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

We will not go into the security measures employed by our software, suffice to say when the trial has expired it stays expired, the impact on your system is a data value 8 characters long.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
                      • Oct 2012

I understand there is no impact. I'm not sure I understand your philosophy in never allowing another trial period. I presume I must have installed the version 13 trial although I don't really recall using it, I have the file downloaded so perhaps I did install it but never got around to actually using it.

Let's assume for a moment I tried v13 and didn't like it. Your process makes it impossible for me to trial new versions that might have improved it to the point of me wanting to buy it. I like the try before you buy thing. I can't do it in this case, and it's lost you a sale. I don't pirate software, EVER.

Have you considered resetting the trial for a new version to say 5 days? If I didn't like v13 I just might like v14 enough to buy it... but sadly I have no way of knowing now.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

We have no tools to reset the trial.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hjkaye
                          • Oct 2012

I guess you can delete my profile then... too bad!

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by hjkaye
                            I guess you can delete my profile then... too bad!
                            Just buy it. It is state of the art for ripping and the price is almost free. I spent more on lunch today!

Comment

• hjkaye
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by garym
                              Just buy it. It is state of the art for ripping and the price is almost free. I spent more on lunch today!
                              Well I don't like to give up, I came to a realization that the prior trial version v13 was downloaded in 2008! I couldn't possibly have had it on this laptop it's not even a year old. If they can't get a trial right how am I to trust the real thing?

So, I tried it on my desktop computer I know I never had it there, it does the same thing, says trial expired with a register button which takes you to the purchase page. It seems this trial is non-existant.

Has anyone been able to successfully try before you buy?

Comment

Working...

]]>