title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I configure the SSDP TTL?

How do I configure the SSDP TTL?

I really like the features offered by Asset UPnP. However, I need a UPnP control point that can be seen across a router. From a wireshark capture, it looks like Asset sets the SSDP multicast TTL to 1 which keeps the NOTIFY messages from being seen beyond the local sub-net. A TTL of 2 would be enough for what I need but I don't see a way to set this value.

What do I need to do to set the SSDP multicast TTL to 2?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: How do I configure the SSDP TTL?

UPnP will not work across different subnets of a network, some control points allow you to set the url of the upnp server direct (such as PlugPlayer).

Can you point me to the documentation that says UPnP will not work across different subnets please?

From what I could gather from the "UPnP Device Architecture 1.1" document, UPnP device discovery should be able to cross network segments. The document talks specifically about multicast TTL and forwarding traffic through a router. The document also states "the time-to-live (TTL) of each IP packet for each multicast message SHOULD default to 2 and SHOULD be configurable." If this document is not valid or has been superseded please let me know.

Thanks

Administrator

I should correct my statement - Asset will not work across subnets, as we build ontop of a standard library to do the low level stuff.

If you don't mind me asking... what library do you use? I'd like to work with the library owners to get the functionality added.

Administrator

Platinum (except we heavily modified it), if you can point to the section we might make the mod.

Looking at the Platinum source code, the relevant section appears to be within the PltSsdp.cpp module. Specifically, within the PLT_SsdpAnnounceInterfaceIterator class there is a line " multicast_socket.SetTimeToLive(4);".

Since the default TTL here seems to be 4, I'm wondering if you are using a different method to initiate a SSDP NOTIFY?

Administrator

Our version is older and does not have this code, I will make a note to look at when we are able to (R4.1 is now final and we cannot make this change now as it might have unintended consequences).