title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Rip multi CD set to a single file?

Rip multi CD set to a single file?

This seems such an obvious question yet I can't find the answer anywhere. If I have a two CD set, how do I rip it to a single file? (In beginner's language, please!)

Or alternatively, how do I combine two files after ripping.

Thank you.

Re: Rip multi CD set to a single file?

How you join them depends on what format you are ripping them to.

Ok, well in this case it's Apple Lossless. So you can't rip them into one file, they have to be joined afterwards?

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm a bit confused on what you want to do. Are you trying to rip CDs to a single file with CUE sheet? And you're trying to do this with multi-disc CDs? Or do you just want your multidisk set to show up in various players as if it is a single disk. I do the latter simply with a single name for the CD set album tag and then use the disk tag (1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc.). Then my players (Squeezeboxes or Foobar2000) see these as single albums. But if you're asking about ripping to single files with CUE sheets that's a different issue. If the latter, any reason you are wanting to use CUE sheets. With modern rippers and files (FLAC, mp3(lame), etc.) there is really no benefit remaining to ripping files with CUE sheets. In the old days one might need this for gapless, etc.

It's really, really simple - I just want a multidisc set to show up in various players as if it were a single disc. I have just ripped a two-disc set and it shows up in iTunes as two separate albums - with the same cover art and title, naturally, which can be a bit confusing. I just want to have one album in iTunes containing all the tracks from the CD set, but iTunes does not appear to offer the option of combining them.

I suspect the answer may be to go into the metadata and remove the "disc 1/2" "disc 2/2" data so both albums have the same identical name. But how can I avoid the problem at the ripping stage? Is there no way to rip both discs to a single album folder?

Edit - I've just realised the two albums in iTunes are in fact named Disc 1 and Disc 2 but you can't see this because the name is too long to fit in the space available!
    Last edited by ripadeedoodah; 10-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ripadeedoodah View Post
    It's really, really simple - I just want a multidisc set to show up in various players as if it were a single disc. I have just ripped a two-disc set and it shows up in iTunes as two separate albums - with the same cover art and title, naturally, which can be a bit confusing. I just want to have one album in iTunes containing all the tracks from the CD set, but iTunes does not appear to offer the option of combining them.

I suspect the answer may be to go into the metadata and remove the "disc 1/2" "disc 2/2" data so both albums have the same identical name. But how can I avoid the problem at the ripping stage? Is there no way to rip both discs to a single album folder?

Edit - I've just realised the two albums in iTunes are in fact named Disc 1 and Disc 2 but you can't see this because the name is too long to fit in the space available!
    When ripping make sure that the album name is the same (without an appended disk 1, etc.). In dbpa, CD Ripper > options menu, then "metadata" section, then metadata and iD tag options, there is a setting for "multiCD add disk to album". click on this and change to "never".

This way, dbpa will NOT add the Disk 1, Disk 2 to the end of the album name. So once the album name is the same for all the disks in the set, it should show up as a single album in itunes. If you add disk column to your itunes (right click on column headings and you'll get column choices) you can then see that something is disk 1 or disk 2 from the disk tag.

OK, that sounds great, I will have a play around with that and see what happens. It will be interesting to see how the tracks are numbered!

Thanks very much indeed for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ripadeedoodah View Post
    OK, that sounds great, I will have a play around with that and see what happens. It will be interesting to see how the tracks are numbered!

Thanks very much indeed for your help.

the tracks are still numbered based on each disk:

disk 1, tracks 1-N
    disk 2, tracks 1-N

But because there is *also* a disk number tag, itunes and other players will understand to list in order when displaying the entire set (all of disk 1 tracks followed by all of disk 2 tracks, etc.