title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dilemma about using replay gain and EQ DSPs together

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dilemma about using replay gain and EQ DSPs together

Hello,

I'm new in using dbpoweramp, so I'm not much skilled in it. I wanted to ask about my problem:

I have few hundreads of CDs ripped in flac and I want to use all of them in my iPod with some EQ. However iPod's equalizer is very crappy - EQ is applied after amplifying and in most cases produces distortion (clipping). The only way to apply EQ is to lower the gain of track itself (using iTUNnorm tags (sound check) - Apple version of reaplygain - is useless, because just like EQ, sound check is applied after amplifying). I know it is a destructive way for audio files, but the only way to use EQ. But iPod's preinstalled EQ presets aren't good for me, so I'm thinking about using EQ DSP while converting flac into alac. All of songs I have are recorded at different volume levels (95-100 dB). So the question is:

What is the best way to adjust gain of all songs to the same level (95 dB), while also adding graphic EQ into them? The priority is to damage audio files as little as possible.

Note: None of my songs have replaygain tags in them, so probably it can't be done with "replay gain (apply)" DSP.

Administrator

Re: Dilemma about using replay gain and EQ DSPs together

Normally you do not boost frequencies, rather reduce the frequencies of all the other frequencies you do not want to be boosted.

I was thinking about the same process. So lowering some frequencies should do the same equalization effect like boosting other, but the difference is, that when lowering frequencies, there shouldn't be more audible noise added compared to original file, just volume should be a little lower. Am I right?

Could you please give me a "step by step" guide how to add permanent replay gain - album gain to 95 dB (while not having RG tags in songs) and also adding EQ DSP? Which one should I put first in DSP effects list? Does it even matter?

Thank you.

Administrator

Correct

you would use these dsp effects:

bit depth - set to floating point
    EQ
    volume normalize (set to replaygain)
    bit depth - to 16 bit (with triangular dither)

Oh, great, I didn't know about using bit depth. If I understand it right, changing bit depth helps apply EQ more accurate. The last question I have is about using volume normalize. When I want to use it, the only replay gain option is track gain. But that's not exactly what I need. If I'll use it, songs that should be quiet will be at the same volume level as much "louder" songs. Is there any other way of doing this? (e.g. force dbpoweramp to add RG tags first and then apply bit depth, EQ, replay gain (apply) and another bit depth)

Administrator

Float allows it to clip without loosing information.

Replaygain will put all tracks the same level...