title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: AAC bitrates can go higher?

AAC bitrates can go higher?

Hello, hopefully this is the right place to post this.
    Usually about 99% of the time when I convert flac, I convert to quality 1.00 vbr aac files, which is 425kbps, for portable devices and I usually convert to alac for itunes on the computer if I like an album so much, I do this mainly because my htc desire s canno't read any lossless file apart from wav files, which doesn't store tag information, so I reip to this aac setting as it's pretty much indistinguishable compared to flac however the closer to lossless the better.

I use vbr as I see no point in cbr, some files with the aac codec go as low as 272kbps, some go as high as 426 which I find interesting, I prefer to let the encoder do the work and not force it to write loads of zeros.

I read somewhere that you can edit dbpower amps files to allow the aac codec to encode at higher bitrates similar to ogg vorbis, exceeding 500kbps, is this true and if so how can it be done?
    (I would like to use ogg vorbis if my phone read it, maybe i'll use it when I upgrade to andriod 4.0 which I believe supports it however, I read ogg vorbis at higher bitrates can sound worse!)

Many thanks!
    -Kyle

Administrator

Re: AAC bitrates can go higher?

Off the top of my head I am not sure you can go higher with Nero encoder.