title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lossless codecs

Unregistered

Re: lossless codecs

I noticed you were discussing the sound quality of the different lossless codecs somewhere in this thread. Why on earth would you do that? They DO sound EXCACTLY the same, and not just in theory.

Make a wav file, compress it using Monkey's Audio (for example), and then decompress the monkey file into a new wav file. Chech the MD5 or SHA-1 value of both the wav files. They are IDENTICAL, the sums will be the same.

dBpoweramp Guru

they may be technically the same but the difference becomes apparent with different lossless codecs able to produce smaller files but others actually playback better than others.

the current ape codec does not work for win98se. well i don't know anyone who has it working. the old ape codec works fine though.

i think tagging issues come into play as well with different lossless codecs.

Unregistered

I agree, i was just mentioning that there is no reason discussing the difference in sound quality

dBpoweramp Guru

ah ok, well i didn't go back through all the posts to see who was discussing sound quality. but yes there should be any difference there.