title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Forced Reboots

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thumbs down Forced Reboots

I just installed 14.3. I unchecked the Restart box (since I was in the middle of a long running program), and the dMC installer restarted my machine anyways. There was no way to stop the restart. There was a 40 second warning, but hitting the Close button didn't stop anything. When the restart started, Notepad asked if I wanted to save unsaved changes, but hitting Cancel also didn't stop the restart.

This is Very Bad Form! Forced restarts are potentially damaging (I'm still cleaning up and restarting the long running process that was aborted).

Please fix this ASAP. You should inform users that a restart is required, but allow them to chose when to do the restart.

Thanks,
    Mike

Administrator

Re: Forced Reboots

> You should inform users that a restart is required, but allow them to chose when to do the restart.

It is how it is supposed to work, hence the reason for the check box on reboot, we will test for this.

Administrator

Micheal,

Which previous version did you have installed and was the upgrade?:

Ran new installer >> it asked if want to uninstall old >> old was uninstalled and new installed

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Probably R14.2 (I have 14.2 in my Downloads folder, so I probably installed it, but one I have upgraded to 14.3 I can't see what was previously installed).

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    I just installed 14.3. I unchecked the Restart box (since I was in the middle of a long running program), and the dMC installer restarted my machine anyways. There was no way to stop the restart.
    Same thing just happened to me when I installed 14.3 over 14.2. Unchecked the "restart" box, but it proceeded to reboot my PC anyway. Fortunately, I had no other apps open and didn't lose anything. But there's definitely a problem here -- if it's going to force a reboot no matter what, no point giving a box to uncheck.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Same here!! Just got forcefully rebooted!!!!! even with reboot option unticked :vmad:

This happened after upgrading from 14.2 to 14.3. I was not asked if I wanted to uninstall old version. I had just finished doing a conversion with 14.2 when I upgraded to 14.3 (thanks for v2.4 support btw!! :smile2

Windows 7 64 bit

Please fix!!

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    Same thing just happened to me when I installed 14.3 over 14.2. Unchecked the "restart" box, but it proceeded to reboot my PC anyway. Fortunately, I had no other apps open and didn't lose anything. But there's definitely a problem here -- if it's going to force a reboot no matter what, no point giving a box to uncheck.