title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Files stored as FLAC and MP3, but Client shall only show one of them.

Question Files stored as FLAC and MP3, but Client shall only show one of them.

Hi,

I like to store ripped music files in FLAC and MP3. So with better equipment i can play the FLAC and on other equipment i can play MP3.
    But when I do so my UPNP client supporting both of them shows both in the file list, but without the format, so I can't see which of them is the FLAC.

I would like that a UPNP client supporting more formats only shows one format (the best one). Ist there an option in Asset to do this?

Rudi.H

Administrator

Re: Files stored as FLAC and MP3, but Client shall only show one of them.

Not currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Not currently.
    Hi Spoon,

thanks for the quick response.

Any idea for a workaround to get functionality similar to the wanted behavior?

Is this function planned for a future release of Asset?

Rudi.H

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi.H View Post
    Hi,

I like to store ripped music files in FLAC and MP3. So with better equipment i can play the FLAC and on other equipment i can play MP3.
    But when I do so my UPNP client supporting both of them shows both in the file list, but without the format, so I can't see which of them is the FLAC.

I would like that a UPNP client supporting more formats only shows one format (the best one). Ist there an option in Asset to do this?

Rudi.H
    Not what you are asking exactly, but I do the same thing (FLAC for home stereo, mp3 for portables). I simply have a main music subdirectory that contains FLAC files and mp3/AAC files (where I have no FLAC), and these are my "home" library. I separately maintain a mirror of my FLAC files as mp3. For portable use (my iThings), I point the library at those mp3 versions (as well as the mp3/aac only subdirectory). This way I have best stuff for home and portable stuff. And if I ever want to create a new mp3 mirror from FLAC (e.g., I decide to go from Lame V2 to Lame V4), I can replace the mirrored mp3 files with a couple of mouse clicks.

Administrator

You can set asset to encode the FLAC to mp3 on demand depending on control point used, with the device specific section.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can set asset to encode the FLAC to mp3 on demand depending on control point used, with the device specific section.
    Hi Spoon,

many thanks for your answer.

Let me try to explain what this means:
    - I've to store my music only in FLAC
    - I tell Asset to convert FLAC to MP3 on specific devices
    - I must not store music files in FLAC and MP3 in parallel, otherwise I see the files twice

Is this correct?

Rudi.H
    Last edited by Rudi.H; 09-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Not what you are asking exactly, but I do the same thing (FLAC for home stereo, mp3 for portables). I simply have a main music subdirectory that contains FLAC files and mp3/AAC files (where I have no FLAC), and these are my "home" library. I separately maintain a mirror of my FLAC files as mp3. For portable use (my iThings), I point the library at those mp3 versions (as well as the mp3/aac only subdirectory). This way I have best stuff for home and portable stuff. And if I ever want to create a new mp3 mirror from FLAC (e.g., I decide to go from Lame V2 to Lame V4), I can replace the mirrored mp3 files with a couple of mouse clicks.
    Hi garym,

That means that I must not have music files in my library in FLAC and MP3 format in parallel. Otherwise I see my files twice on such clients supporting both formats.

My problem is:
    I'd like to store files in FLAC and MP3, so that I can play music on my high end device in the living room in FLAC and in the children room with a low end device in MP3.
    I dont see to make this working this way.
    Have I anything misunderstood?

Rudi.H
    Last edited by Rudi.H; 09-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi garym,

That means that I must not have music files in my library in FLAC and MP3 format in parallel. Otherwise I see my files twice on such clients supporting both formats.

My problem is:
    I'd like to store files in FLAC and MP3, so that I can play music on my high end device in the living room in FLAC and in the children room with a low end device in MP3.
    I dont see to make this working this way.
    Have I anything misunderstood?

Rudi.H
    I think you aren't understanding my response. I do exactly what you want to do. I have BOTH FLAC versions and mp3 versions of my files. I keep them all in a library. But they are in DIFFERENT libraries. As follows:

x:\music\flac\artists\albums\tracks...
    x:\music\mp3AAConly\artists\albums\tracks....
    x:\mp3mirror\artists\albums\tracks

Note that the x:\mp3mirror\ subdirectory is NOT under x:\music. This way my mp3 versions of FLAC files are NOT mixed in with my FLAC files.

So on my home music system (I use Squeezebox, but I'm sure this works with ASSET as well), I set my music library as x:\music (this picks up both my FLAC files and the files that I have only in mp3/aac (no FLAC)).

For portable use, I load up my iphones/ipods/ipads with lossy files. So I tell itunes that my music library is x:\mp3mirror\... And then I also manually add the x:\music\mp3AAConly\artists.... to itunes (itunes file menu, ADD DIRECTORY)

You can easily use some of the functions of mp3tag to automatically separate your FLAC and mp3 files into separate subdirectories.

Administrator

Hi Spoon,

Let me try to explain what this means:
    - I've to store my music only in FLAC
    - I tell Asset to convert FLAC to MP3 on specific devices
    - I must not store music files in FLAC and MP3 in parallel, otherwise I see the files twice

Is this correct?

Rudi.H
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I think you aren't understanding my response. I do exactly what you want to do. I have BOTH FLAC versions and mp3 versions of my files. I keep them all in a library. But they are in DIFFERENT libraries. As follows:

x:\music\flac\artists\albums\tracks...
    x:\music\mp3AAConly\artists\albums\tracks....
    x:\mp3mirror\artists\albums\tracks

Note that the x:\mp3mirror\ subdirectory is NOT under x:\music. This way my mp3 versions of FLAC files are NOT mixed in with my FLAC files.

So on my home music system (I use Squeezebox, but I'm sure this works with ASSET as well), I set my music library as x:\music (this picks up both my FLAC files and the files that I have only in mp3/aac (no FLAC)).

For portable use, I load up my iphones/ipods/ipads with lossy files. So I tell itunes that my music library is x:\mp3mirror\... And then I also manually add the x:\music\mp3AAConly\artists.... to itunes (itunes file menu, ADD DIRECTORY)

You can easily use some of the functions of mp3tag to automatically separate your FLAC and mp3 files into separate subdirectories.
    Hi garym,

thanks for your detailed explanation, now I know what you mean.
    Its not exactly what I wanted, but it's a solution I can live with.

Rudi.H

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi garym,

thanks for your detailed explanation, now I know what you mean.
    Its not exactly what I wanted, but it's a solution I can live with.

Rudi.H
    you're most welcome.