title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Where does getpopupinfo store its data?

Where does getpopupinfo store its data?

I see that getpopupinfo scans my hard drive for media files to get the data displayed in a "popup" when I hover over a media file but where is it storing all that information?

Is it using meta data already in the file or does it search the web for that information?

Assuming the data is already in the file, why would it need to scan the hard drive to get the data? Is it collecting the meta data and storing it in a database, or is it going to the web to get data and adding it to the existing meta data. If it goes to the web for this, how do we control the accuracy of the info? For an example, during a rip, I can look at various sources of meta data and choose the info that best matches my media or I can manually change things. If getpopupinfo is going to the web, how do I know it's adding the info I want? For example, if I have an audio file I created from a vinyl single and saved it as a FLAC file, will getpopupinfo gather data from the web that applies it to a greatest hits album?

Administrator

Re: Where does getpopupinfo store its data?

Getpopup reads the file, it does not store the results anywhere, saying that Windows Indexer can call getpopup to read metadata for files is does not know about.

Re: Where does getpopupinfo store its data?

Thanks spoon. So it's only reading what's already on the file. That makes sense.

The reason I asked is that I heard hard drive activity while my machine was mostly idle and got curious. I looked at the resource monitor and saw disk access from "getpopupinfo" (just reads). Based on what you said, it the windows indexer program that is "calling" getpopupinfo to get the data from the audio file. I assume windows indexer is storing that somewhere.