title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Conversion Freezes when converting from AAC to MP3 on large amount of files.

Conversion Freezes when converting from AAC to MP3 on large amount of files.

I'm not sure if this is a software problem. A little history, I've been using dBpoweramp since 2009 without any problems on a system that died which had a dual core AMD processor and 8GB of RAM on win7 x64. This new system has an 8 core AMD processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM on win7 x64. All drives remain the same. What I'm doing is converting all my MP4 files (best quality) to MP3s extreme VAR. I have over 10,000 CDs and my car won't play AAC.

If I have just started the system and start the conversion process it will speed right along converting 8 tracks at a time (love it). It will finish the cd, then I start the next, etc... The problem happens around the 10th CD or 11th depending how many tracks per disc, or right around 120 tracks. That's when then conversion freezes. I can try to stop the program to no avail. I can not even kill it from the Task Manager. I can't shut the system down from the Start Button but I can start the shutdown process from the Task Manager. It acts like it's shutting down but completely locks up on the final process and will not shut down even after waiting 30 minutes. I have to press the off button to shut down. On restart the windows did not shut down properly message come up asking to choose but my keyboard and mouse are unusable until the system gets into windows. Mouse and keyboard are USB. after the system is completely up, the folder where the track conversion failed, the unfinished files have to be deleted which are 8 and that process can take up to a full minute then everything's back to normal.

If I convert 7 CDs then reboot everything works fine and I can repeat that process forever.

I think the problem might be caused by some kind of buffer overrun or under-run.

I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, Catnap

Administrator

Re: Conversion Freezes when converting from AAC to MP3 on large amount of files.

Even if there was a buffer overrun, you would be able to close the program in task manager, something else is happening which is driver related on your system, as it is locking up lower down than the program.

Re: Conversion Freezes when converting from AAC to MP3 on large amount of files.

Spoon

This problem has been resolved. Asus released a new BIOS update yesterday, 2012/06/05, installed and all works fine now just converted one artist with 219 tracks and all is well.

Thanks, Catnap

Well I thought the problem was solved but it isn't. What I had done was convert an artist's 17 CDs into one directory. This worked fine and converted 219 Tracks no lockups. When I tried to convert the same tracks split to individual CDs to separate folders the original problem occurred, lock up on track 122 on the 8th CD. I don't know where to turn. I don't have any problems ripping CDs, using a spreadsheet, Access, itunes, winamp or any other program. It somehow seems conversion oriented with a large amount of tracks and multiple folders, 7 or more.

Again Tanks for any help, Catnap

dBpoweramp Guru

I know that this is absolutely not what you are asking about, but: it is generally not a good idea to transcode lossy to lossy unless you have to. AAC to mp3 will 'double the artifacts'. Make sure you keep your aac's.

Well after almost 3 months of diagnosis I can finally say that this problem is resolved. After trying many different solutions I decided to upgrade my Power supply from a 750w to an AX1200w. In the process of swapping out the supply I also realized that the data cables on my RAID drives(4), were not the same length. Two were twice the length of the other two. This probably would not be critical with a slower processor but I think on a much faster processor this might affect the data flow. In any case the problem is gone. Was it the supply or the cables? Don't care, the problem is fixed.

Thanks to the few who tried to help, Catnap