title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track Order on Media Devices after Conversion

Track Order on Media Devices after Conversion

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to all of this so go easy on me! I'm trying to use Music Convertor to change my music library from WMA Lossless to WMA 320kbps, so that I have it in a format supported by media devices, Samsung Galaxy SIII etc. Now I have the format conversion happening perfectly, my issue is that after conversion the track order is incorrect on the media device, no matter how I sort the files. So even if I sort the files by track number before transferring them onto the phone, they are displayed in a random order on the device after transferring. If you take the SIII for example, if I connect via USB, and open up the folder on the phone, the tracks look to be in the correct order, but when I go to play the album using my phones music player app, the tracks are not in the right order. Tearing my hair out here so any help would be greatly appreciated....

EDIT: I have searched here and looked through threads, so the track titles include the song number, but sorting by name presents exactly the same problem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rollaurion; 08-20-2012 at 09:41 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Track Order on Media Devices after Conversion

You would have to find out if it goes off filename, creation date, or id tags to sort.

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    You would have to find out if it goes off filename, creation date, or id tags to sort.
    Hmmm, not sure about that, it is clearly something converter is doing though. I tested by ripping a cd in 320 kbps, and putting it on my phone and usb for my car stereo.....Correct track order. Then I started again by ripping the same cd in lossless, converting to 320 kbps using converter, putting on my phone and usb, both display the same incorrect track order. Might be resigned to reripping >1000 cd's .....

dBpoweramp Guru

no need to rerip at all. sounds like your phone and usb for car is using file name for sorting rather than tags. You probably have the dynamic naming set different for mp3 as compared with lossless. Look at your files in windows explorer or something. Are the lossless files;

01 - track name
    02 - track name

etc.

If not, and the USB car player is using file name, then they are probably in alphabetical order, not track order. Also, in dbpa settings, I'd have the track number saved as two digits so that 02 will come before 10, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    no need to rerip at all. sounds like your phone and usb for car is using file name for sorting rather than tags. You probably have the dynamic naming set different for mp3 as compared with lossless. Look at your files in windows explorer or something. Are the lossless files;

01 - track name
    02 - track name

etc.

If not, and the USB car player is using file name, then they are probably in alphabetical order, not track order. Also, in dbpa settings, I'd have the track number saved as two digits so that 02 will come before 10, etc....
    OK, this has helped me sort the problem. I have added track number into the dynamic naming and both phone and car USB are playing in correct order. Thanks very much!