title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Correcting missing Track 1 tags with ID Tag Processing - Questions on Syntax

Correcting missing Track 1 tags with ID Tag Processing - Questions on Syntax

By way of background info, I am dealing with a relatively obscure problem: for people (like me) who over the years ripped CDs to wav files using WMP, track 1 tags (actually RIFF chunk data) are often missing because the rip started before WMP identified the album being ripped. (All later tracks have the basic wav tags, i.e., title, artist, album, genre, track no. and one or two more). All other tracks have complete information. I am using the terrific(!) dBpoweramp batch ripper to convert my 3,000 album collection to AIFF. I am using ID Tag Processing to add the missing information but have a few questions.

Original path example is: L:\Public\Shared Music\Miles Davis\Kind of Blue\01 So What.wav (i.e., ....Artist\Album\xx Track where xx is two digit track number)

Incorrect tags for track 1 appear as follows:

Name (of track): "Track 1"
    Artist: "Unknown Artist"
    Album: "Unknown Album (10/21/2008 5:32:23 PM)" (that is, the date and time I ripped the CD)

My questions have to do with syntax for ID Tag Processing.

1. I want to replace "Track 1" with the file name excluding the two digit track number; what is syntax for:

IF Title=Track 1
    SET Title= How do I refer to the file name ("So What") but exclude the leading two digits and space?

2. I want to replace "Unknown Artist" with the artist's name ("Mile Davis"); what is syntax for:

IF Artist=Unknown Artist
    SET Artist= How do I refer to the sub-folder name I need which is further up in the hierarchy?

3. I want to replace "Unknown Album (10/21/2008 5:32:23 PM)" with the album name ("Kind of Blue"); what is syntax for:

IF Album= How do I use a wildcard ("*" didn't work) to represent varying date and time information after the word "Unknown Album"?
    SET Album= Same question as *2 above as album is a sub-folder

4. Another general question: what is the syntax for "not equal to"? I tried "<>", "!=" and "/=" but none of them worked.

Many many thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Alan S.

Administrator

Re: Correcting missing Track 1 tags with ID Tag Processing - Questions on Syntax

Try the [Tag from Filename] utility codec.

Re: Correcting missing Track 1 tags with ID Tag Processing - Questions on Syntax

Thanks Spoon.
    I have it installed, I just can't figure out how to find it and run it so I can use it. Where is it?
    Advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Alan77; 08-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You would use batch converter and set the encoder to tag from filename

Yes, thanks, I know that. But I cannot find the setting for tagging with the filename.
    Where do I find it and turn it on? (Is it possible I don't have it installed correctly?)
    Thanks.

Administrator

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm

Install the Tag From Filename Codec to the same location that dbpoweramp is installed.

When trying it, test on one file first, before letting it loose on your collection.

I did and I checked the configuration and it is installed.
    But how do I use it? I cannot find the option to use it when I open the batch converter.
    Thanks.

Administrator

right click on one file >> Convert To >>

set the encoder to [Tag from Filename]

I didn't realize that it was a separate operation after converting. Thanks. Beautiful.
    Last question: as I said in the original post above my file names are in the format "xx Name of Track" where xx is the two digit (01, 02, etc.) track number.
    Is there code I can insert that will delete the two digits and space before the name of each track?
    Many thanks. Alan

Administrator

if you set the tag from filename as:

[track] [title]

that should be enough to read.