title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems writing dynamic folder path

Problems writing dynamic folder path

I've started to rip my CD collection but I can't seem to get the file path as I want it. I've tried the tutorial and checked previous posts but I still can't get it right.

What I would like to see is the following:

Single artist, single CD - Artist/Album/Track - Artist - Title
    Single artist, multi CD - Artist/Album/Disc/Track - Artist - Title

Various Artist, single CD - Various/Album/Track - Artist - Title
    Various Artist, multi CD - Various/Album/Disc/Track - Artist - Title

Although quite close to the default setting, what I'm aiming for is that each disc within a multi CD set to have it's own separate sub folder within the album folder.

I thought I understood how the "1/1" disc field worked until I scanned a couple of CD's that read "2/1" which, using my logic, meant disc two of one. This only served to confuse me even more!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have 1500 discs to rip so I want to make sure I get it right from the start.

Re: Problems writing dynamic folder path

I've decided to set up different profiles for different types of CD - I find it easier than writing complex strings!

Just one problem remains - when I play back songs I just see the track title, any idea as to how I tag to show the artist as well?

dBpoweramp Guru

what are you playing on? and is the player using your metadata tags or is it using the FILENAME?

I'm using squeezebox touch and radio, I also have a squeezepad app on my i-pad and they all just show track title. I'm not sure how to check what data source the players are using.

For the stuff I've already ripped I've edited the files using mp3tag editor so that the title is formatted to read the artist as well but this would be tedious for such a large collection.

dBpoweramp Guru

something odd is going on here. When you rip with dbpa, it should create ARTIST, ALBUM, TITLE, GENRE, etc. for each track. I use SB stuff as well along with the SqueezePad ipad app. They all show me the artist, album name, track name, etc. This is coming from the tag info. Do you have dbpa setup to write all these fields to your tag? This would be default unless you changed something in dbpa. And all this is independent of dynamic naming string. This just deals with subdirectory location and filename. What LMS is reading when you add these songs to its library is the metadata TAGS that contain all the info you're interested in (and that SB should display!).

So in your cd ripper, OPTIONS > METADATA options, you've checked the little box next to all the fields you want created when you rip (like ARTIST, TITLE, GENRE, ALBUM, etc.)

But I'm really confused as to what you've done in your setup to cause you to NOT get these tags.

I haven't changed anything from the default with regards to tag data.

All the tags seem to be there (artist, title, etc.), the problem I have is how to get dbpa to combine the artist and title into the title field.

When I play a track I would like to see the artist on screen as well, also the overview of a complilation album just shows the track title without the corresponding artist information.

I know the data is there because when I edit the tags after the rip they display correctly, I just thought there might be a way to get dbpa to do this at the rip stage.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rasowe View Post
    I haven't changed anything from the default with regards to tag data.

All the tags seem to be there (artist, title, etc.), the problem I have is how to get dbpa to combine the artist and title into the title field.

When I play a track I would like to see the artist on screen as well, also the overview of a complilation album just shows the track title without the corresponding artist information.

I know the data is there because when I edit the tags after the rip they display correctly, I just thought there might be a way to get dbpa to do this at the rip stage.

Not sure about doing this with dbpa, but with mp3tag, you can use an ACTION to convert TITLE to contain the info in the TITLE and ARTIST tags into the single TITLE field. In the ACTION you tell it to make TITLE contain

%title% - %artist%

Then run the action and save. You can do this in a giant batch on all your files at once if you want to. Now your TITLE tag will contain Title - Artist. If you have questions about using ACTIONS in mp3tag, you should post at their forums and folks can help.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure but I finally discovered that the convert tag to tag function in mp3tag does the trick.

I guess with batch convert it's not too onerous.

Many thanks for your help.