title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting lossless m4a to lossless WMA. Some files can't be played by WMP?!

Question Converting lossless m4a to lossless WMA. Some files can't be played by WMP?!

Hi All,

I'm converting my collection of lossless m4a:s to lossless WMA. I have about 8000 files and out of those I get maybe 10 that fails on verification.. BUT, I have quite a few files that I cannot play in WMP. The same files are also unplayable on my Onkyo receiver using DLNA (with the dbpoweramp UPNP server) or when I try using the Windows PlayTo function to stream directly to my receiver. BUT, the files play OK in Foobar.

I have tried converting the files first to WAV (they play OK in WMP as WAV files) and then convert them to WMA lossless but I have the same issue with the same files. The same files won't play in WMP. Weird and not much logic (to me at least).

Any ideas? Right now it looks like WAV is the best option as I can stream this to my Onkyo receiver and I can use the PlayTo functionality as well.

Thanks!
    /S

Administrator

Re: Converting lossless m4a to lossless WMA. Some files can't be played by WMP?!

Try installing Asset UPnP, it will allow you to keep the files as Apple Lossless and stream as WAVE on demand.

Re: Converting lossless m4a to lossless WMA. Some files can't be played by WMP?!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try installing Asset UPnP, it will allow you to keep the files as Apple Lossless and stream as WAVE on demand.
    I already run Asset UPnP (great app btw), but I need to migrate from m4a (for PlayTo, sync to my Windows Phones etc. Just weird that a nr of WMAs won't play in WMP.