title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How about a DRM removal option for the music converter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisCTR
    • Dec 2011

How about a DRM removal option for the music converter?

As I have been using another program to remove the DRM protection from mp3 files, I get this Vista R&R window error message problem (Revocation and Renewal) . I'm seeking a suggestion for dbPowerAmp's music converter program to remove the DRM protection from mp3s during conversion, in hopes that it won't get this R&R error window problem.
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Re: How about a DRM removal option for the music converter?

In many jurisdictions, DRM removal is illegal (though I don't know about Spoon's location). Besides, DRM'ed files (I assume you mean .wma, not .mp3) are getting quite scarce, fortunately, so you might be better off searching for a tool that was developed when somebody still cared

Comment

• ChrisCTR
      • Dec 2011

Yes, I was referring to WMA files as I use Rhapsody to get music.

Originally posted by Porcus
      In many jurisdictions, DRM removal is illegal (though I don't know about Spoon's location). Besides, DRM'ed files (I assume you mean .wma, not .mp3) are getting quite scarce, fortunately, so you might be better off searching for a tool that was developed when somebody still cared

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ChrisCTR
        As I have been using another program to remove the DRM protection from mp3 files, I get this Vista R&R window error message problem (Revocation and Renewal) . I'm seeking a suggestion for dbPowerAmp's music converter program to remove the DRM protection from mp3s during conversion, in hopes that it won't get this R&R error window problem.
        interesting request. in some jurisidictions (lke the U.S. where I live), this is like asking for a method to rob banks. It is illegal and people can go to prison for this activity.

Comment

• eaglescout1998
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ChrisCTR
          I'm seeking a suggestion for dbPowerAmp's music converter program to remove the DRM protection from mp3s during conversion, in hopes that it won't get this R&R error window problem.
          If you're converting from one lossy format to another (such as WMA to MP3), a good way of getting rid of the protection would be the "rip and burn" method. Basically, you would burn the protected files onto an audio CD, and then rip the CD tracks into whatever format you wish. It's an extra step, but it will do the job.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by eaglescout1998
            If you're converting from one lossy format to another (such as WMA to MP3), a good way of getting rid of the protection would be the "rip and burn" method. Basically, you would burn the protected files onto an audio CD, and then rip the CD tracks into whatever format you wish. It's an extra step, but it will do the job.
            with lossy, going from lossy to lossy creates additional potential loss of audio material (i.e., transcoding, although likely not audible depending on type of music, how lossy, i.e., 96 vs 256, etc.). So it may be worth burning these tracks to disk (as audio CD), then ripping to LOSSLESS (FLAC, etc.). This way, you new lossless files will at least be exactly the content contained in the old DRM lossy files.

Comment

Working...

]]>