title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Different offsets on same disc

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gbeer7
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2011

Re: Different offsets on same disc

So you don't know if the disc is a problem ?! Should i buy a new one ?? My god, i'm worried.

If it did have two offsets is that anything to worry about anyway ? Does it matter ?

What if i manually change the offset or something by mistake at a time when i didn't understand ?

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gbeer7
      So you don't know if the disc is a problem ?! Should i buy a new one ?? My god, i'm worried.

If it did have two offsets is that anything to worry about anyway ? Does it matter ?

What if i manually change the offset or something by mistake at a time when i didn't understand ?
      please reread this thread. You've been told numerous times by several people that your disk is ok, your rips are good and all is good with regard to the rips you've created from this disk. Move on. Secure ripping and confirming this is just a step in listening to your music. You seem to get stuck at that step wanting to confirm and reconfirm the tracks over and over, even when they have already been reported as good by AR matches.

Comment

• Gbeer7
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2011

OK Garym. Just the offset that worried me :(

"Secure ripping and confirming this is just a step in listening to your music" - What does this mean?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

OK Garym. Just the offset that worried me :(

"Secure ripping and confirming this is just a step in listening to your music" - What does this mean?
          It means that the point of all this is to enjoy your music. Step one, acquire the CD, Step two, insert into computer and rip with dbpa, getting either an AR match or a "secure" rip for CDs not in AR database. Step 3 - add to your main music library and backup files. Step 4 - listen and enjoy. I spend about 5-10 minutes on steps 1 - 3. You seem to never get past step 2.

Comment

• Gbeer7
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2011

Yes, thats very, very true. :( Would you worry about a different offset ?

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Would you worry about a different offset ?
              for the last time, NO.

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

Gbeer7,
                have a look at these chronologically sampled quotes.

Again, is everything ok and nothing to be concerned about ?
                Doesn't sound like anything not to be worried about ......
                [...]
                Are these problem discs ?
                So generally if it's accurate people don't worry about different offsets? Do I need to buy another copy of this album ?
                everything is ok and no need to replace the disc?
                Originally posted by Porcus
                That's been answered already.
                So nothing to worry about ? Don't need another copy ?
                does that mean there is an issue with the disc
                So you don't know if the disc is a problem ?!

Guess what? All these quotes are from the very same thread. And it is not a general 'what could possibly go wrong' thread, it is a single issue where you are using a tool that tries to capture a few what-ifs, and just because there are RESOLVED what-ifs that the software DOES cope with (but reports it in a level of technical detail which you have not RTFM'ed), then you go bananas. I understand that your condition doesn't make things easier for you, but you have already gotten way more service than anyone could expect -- you have spent your goodwill quota on just asking a very few questions over and over again, and not bothering to read the answers.

And even worse, none of our effort seems to help you at all. Nobody benefits from this -- obviously not you, who will never get to the stage of actually listening to the music; not us, who spend our time trying in vain to explain; not the forum, because whoever would have the same questions, would give up reading through the noise.

Assuring you that your data/logs/information indicates that everything is as good as you could possibly get it, that does not work.
                Trying to explain you what is going on behind the scenes, that does not work.
                Trying to refer you to previous information given as a service to you, that does not work.
                Trying to refer you to other sources would probably be outright harmful, because there is always someone who would ask questions that are irrelevant to your situation (but which will make you start to worry over nothing), or have asked questions to issues that were resolved or were false alarms (but which will also make you worry over nothing).

And yes, my quoting myself in between yours, that was intentional. Already then you should have taken a hint that the answer is right before your eyes, answered as a service to you. Do you think you will get much more help?

So here is a suggested solution or two:
                1) If you cannot enjoy your Beatles albums, then don't listen to them. Don't worry over whether there is a snowball's chance in hell that a byte may be (probably inaudibly!) wrong -- it doesn't matter as long as you don't listen to them. On a good day, you might pick them up and find out that it probably sounds pretty cool to listen to, but for the time being, leave those rips alone.
                2) Make an experiment: buy lossless files from source. That probably requires you to discover a bit of new music, as only a small fraction of the releases in the history of music are available that way.
                Try for example bandcamp.com , which is a place where bands (mostly underground bands, and even some underground labels) sell (or even give away) music in both lossless and lossy formats -- you can listen to it in advance too. Everything on Bandcamp is available in lossless -- as far as I know, they accept only accepts lossless uploads from the artists. Oh, as a bonus: the artists get much better paid than at iTunes or from the record companies.
                Then you eliminate the issue of CD ripping, as the music does not go by way of a CD. You can download in FLAC; that format has a checksum per file, to ensure that the file transfer was successful and that the audio is bit-by-bit identical to what the artist uploaded.
                Maybe that way you can find music a way you are actually able to enjoy. Maybe you will find some other irrational demon to worry over, but it might be worth the try.
                Last edited by Porcus; 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

+1. But forget the downloading lossless option. See, for example,

Hi,

I downloaded a concert from an artist website, that was part of the offer when subscribing to there website. These tracks for 24/48 files. When i did PerfectTunes on them, two of the files out of the 14 said they were corrupt. Is this something to be concerned about or the fact perfectTunes would not be able to verify as they were downloaded, not ripped ?
                  My suggestion is to put all music away, subscribe to a service such as Spotify, MOG, Rhapsody, etc. Then there are no rips or downloads to worry over. Just the streaming music which you can't possible test and retest (at least I can't think of a way....).

Gbeer7, you should really take these suggestions to heart.

Comment

• Gbeer7
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2011

Hi porcus,

I can sense your frustration and probably rightly so. I have prayed on yours and garym good nature. I do tend to pick up on small things then go into a crazy state over. Once something is in my mind that's it, hard to shake off.
                    I've got myself in such a situation I struggle to get any enjoyment over music. I listen a actively look for something wrong. I know life is too short, yet I still struggle to move on.
                    As you probably saw my new post, I downloaded some 24bit files from the Tom petty website. I ran perfectTunes on them and it said two were corrupted ! I'm looking to check everything to know its 100% safe. So that's panicked me.

I own the Beatles 24bit files on the apple USB stick. Thinking I could enjoy the Beatles without checking the CDs. But no. I've ran a test conversion on all these files about 10 times. Still not satisfied there ok. Want to run perfectTunes on them, but worried if it comes back with a corrupted file I will just make myself so anxious and I'll.

God, I dented my mono boxset box and it plays on my mind all the time and causes sleepless nights! Just want to replace it but gets to the point I'll be kicked out on the street !

Is it worth running perfectTunes on my Beatles USB files ?

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

PerfectTunes is beta and in your condition, you should stay away from it, at least until it is final. And you really have to stop this. At least every time you feel the need to post a question, once again, as to whether there is a problem, you should instead go for a walk and remind yourself as to why it is not a good idea. It would be a shame for you to use up any goodwill which you might have left.

And at some point Spoon could simply ban you from posting here as your posts end up filling the forum with nonsense. I wouldn't blame him if he did. You must consider this, and just stop and let it be for a while (and I mean months not hours).

Comment

• Gbeer7
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2011

I guess your right.

Is perfectTunes for things like the Beatles USB files or website downloads I.e. Tom petty 24 bit files ?

Or is it to check accurate results of CDs and itune files ?

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

one last comment, then I'll not post to this thread any more. For your downloads or USB files, just run TEST CONVERSION. If there is an error in the files, you'll get a popup error message. Otherwise, these files are fine. Now stop.

Comment

• Gbeer7
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2011

Ok garym, thank you. I'll trust you and not run perfectTunes and move on. Again, thank you. You both didn't have to help, I really do appricate it.

Comment

• Porcus
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Feb 2007

Since this is a new question: garym is right, don't use PerfectTUNES for files that are not CD rips. It isn't made for that (at least it isn't ready for it as of now, I don't know Spoon's plans for it). So
                              (I) it has bugs on those (at least the last version I tested -- remember again, this is an incomplete test release), and
                              (II) the AccurateRip database is populated by CD rips, so you will not find matches unless in those special cases where a 44.1/16 is bit-identical to some pressed CD.

Furthermore, you should not use the software on ripped files that were verified as Accurate when you ripped. The reasons are
                              (I) no need to, as they are OK
                              (II) if it finds the CD, it might return detailed information that -- although it does indeed say everything is OK -- makes you worry over nothing. That's already happened.
                              (III) as it is beta software, and not ready yet, I've had cases where it doesn't find the rip, and we are quite a few who have reported false 'corrupted files' messages. These are issues with PerfectTUNES -- not with the files -- but I can only guess how it would hit your nerves. I suggest you leave the "WTF my files are CORRUPTED?!?" shock to us
                              Last edited by Porcus; 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Gbeer7
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Mar 2011

So no point running it on my Beatles USB 24bit files then porcus ? Could find a corrupted file ?
                                Just run a test conversion on all 226 files. No errors reported, well so I saw.

" It isn't made for that (at least it isn't ready for it as of now, I don't know Spoon's plans for it)."
                                So it could work for them maybe ?
                                Last edited by Gbeer7; 07-08-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>