title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Different offsets on same disc

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gbeer7
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2011

Re: Different offsets on same disc

Porcus, can you just help explain to me how the different offset is used then. Doesn't cd have just a single offset ?

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

I would suppose that posting *9 explains better than the following three scenarios (which is not intended to explain your particular finding at all, merely that you might get different offsets):

(I):
      Suppose there are three different pressings with different offsets. People have submitted some tracks from one pressing, and some tracks from another. Say, track *1 is only submitted from pressing *1, and track *2 is only submitted from pressing *2.
      You own a CD from pressing *3. No-one has yet submitted from that. Then track *1 can only be compared to pressing *1 (there is nothing else!) and will be offset to match that one. Track *2 will be offset to match the other submissions.

(II):
      Record Company sends a master to two pressing plants. They might press with different offsets (although only 'one offset per pressing').
      Record Company wants to re-release the CD with a couple of bonus tracks, and sends each pressing plant two more tracks and tell them to put them at the end.
      Now in old days, these could be sent on a music CD. (A suboptimal way to do it, and today it is easier to transfer files.)
      Pressing Plant *1 has ripped the CD with a certain offset. Then rips the bonus tracks on another drive, with a different offset. Gets a different number of 0's between ordinary tracks and bonus tracks, than what Pressing Plant *2 gets.

You attempt cross-pressing verification of one of these, against the others. The first ones will have to be offset by one figure, and the others by another.

Comment

• Gbeer7
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2011

Ah right ok, so its the same data, but by recording it on different pressing you get two offsets ? So it can compare the two as the tracks are the same. So accuraterip compared crc numbers not discs?
        So my revolver album doesn't have two offsets ?

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Edit: Spoon resolved the question.

More important, I would bet way more than the price of a 2nd Revolver copy and a 2nd CD drive to rip it, that it is accurate.
          Last edited by Porcus; 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Gbeer7
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2011

But spoon seem to suggest that it picked the higher resulting accurate result which is why two were offset 6.
            So nothing to worry about ? Don't need another copy ?

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gbeer7
              But spoon seem to suggest that it picked the higher resulting accurate result which is why two were offset 6.
              So nothing to worry about ? Don't need another copy ?
              we've answered that question many times. nothing to worry about. You don't need another copy. Will you not be happy unless you can get someone to tell you that "yes, you need to buy 2 more copies." You simply have to move on. If it makes you happy and you can afford it, buy 10 copies. But it won't make your rips any more perfect than they already are.

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

Yes, I kept the window open for too long, and Spoon had weighed in with the explanation. Edited my answer now.

So this shows that not only are there 61 persons who have gotten the same rip of the Taxman track: it does even include rips of different pressings. That is no reason to worry. (Just think it over: it means that even when they have sent the same files to a different CD plant, it is still the same signal (only moved a bit to the left or right).)
                Last edited by Porcus; 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Gbeer7
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2011

Sorry, I know your right. Can you explain basic terms what's going on and why two offsets are on the same disc please?

Garym, for my crazy mind, when you get chance can you run perfectTunes on your stereo copy of revolver please ?
                  Last edited by Gbeer7; 07-07-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Porcus
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Feb 2007

The offset thing has been explained before: for the same reason that your CD-ROM reader needs offset adjustment, then there is the same issue with CD _burners_, and thus, two pressing plants might write the same signal to the master with the same bitstream except a slight alignment to the left or right. You want to verify your rips, so you want to compare to those pressings as well. Now PerfectTUNES did so, and the majority of matching rips for track *1 was with an offset of six, hence that's what was reported.

Comment

• Gbeer7
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2011

So the cd itself doesn't have the two offsets of +6, it's just matched against another cd in the database that has recorded a higher accurate result with the offset of +6 that the other +0 offsets were not as high?

In all honestly does it matter if a cd has two different offsets ? Is this me being the paranoid thing I am ?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

So the cd itself doesn't have the two offsets of +6, it's just matched against another cd in the database that has recorded a higher accurate result with the offset of +6 that the other +0 confidences were not as high for all tracks

I corrected your statement.

>In all honestly does it matter if a cd has two different offsets ?

Makes no real difference
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Gbeer7
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2011

Thank you spoon, so the statement you corrected that is basically what's happening?

When you say it makes no differance, does that mean there is an issue with the disc but has found confident accurate result ?

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Thank you spoon, so the statement you corrected that is basically what's happening?

When you say it makes no differance, does that mean there is an issue with the disc but has found confident accurate result ?
                            no, as has been explained, there is no problem with *your* disk. It is just how the AR matching is working.....

Comment

• Gbeer7
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2011

OK Gary, so is it impossible for a disc to have two offsets ?

And in this case the two offsets of +6 is because of these tracks having a higher accurate rip result and nothing more or worse ? And i'm stressing over nothing as per normal ?

What if i manually change the offset or something by mistake at a time when i didn't understand ? I feel sick with stress :(
                              Last edited by Gbeer7; 07-08-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

I don't know the technical details of a disc having two offsets. I think the answer is that a particular disk has only one offset, but not sure. But I am sure that in the case you are asking about (with all tracks having confirmed AR matches) you are stressing over nothing.

Comment

Working...

]]>