title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Non-Audio File Limit

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thumbs down Non-Audio File Limit

After weeks of uploading endlessly, I have encountered the dreaded "non-audio file limit."

TBH it is kinda seriously annoying. I donīt have a ridiculous amount of non audio files. Album covers (some in relatively hi-res), a few pdf booklet scans, some txt files with concert info or reviews etc.

This data needs to be backed up with the audio. It is as essential to the collection as anything else. File structure, associated data, album art and the like are all very important to us audiophile nerds with big collections. (The kind of person who is most likely to use AudioSafe btw.)

I suggest that you either scrap the limit entirely (no one will sneak in their film collection and you can stipulate that non-audio files must be in the same file structure as audio files)...

or make it much much higher. (High enough that no client will ever have to see this error message.)

If the next 1/4 of my uploading collection is unable to have even their folder.jpg files with them, then I am afraid this service is officially worthless to me. Not to be a *****, but I will really feel that these weeks of uploading, bandwidth hogging, and putting wear & tear on my external hard drive were a hopeless waste of time. A partial backup solution is not much better than no backup solution... worse actually as I will still have to back everything up from scratch somewhere else.

The sad thing is that I hadn't even selected some of my largest folders for backup. This is only my active lossy collection. My lossless collection with the majority of my ROIO's and and basically all my CD Rips since hard drives got over 1TB is still not even selected for AudioSafe. I was dismayed at how long this upload was taking, and just figured I would get through the first part, give my system a rest from 24 uploading and maybe get around to the lossless folders later.

Please think long and hard about what I am saying here, as I know that I am in your core demographic. As a very longtime member of the illustrate family, I am not simply being some petulant brat. This is a deal-breaker IMHO.

J

Administrator

Re: Non-Audio File Limit

Folder.jpgs are not part of the non-audio file limit

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I saw the log and the error message came with .pdf and .txt files, but it is hard to imagine that i already went over 500mb in just .pdf & .txt

Who knows, some booklet scans are 15 or 20 mb or more for a single album, so it very well may be.

At any rate, what I said still stands.

Perhaps the solution is to just move .pdf, .txt, .gif, .svg, .db, .ini and any of the other adjunct files that tend to crop up in a good collection into the same "not part of the non-audio file limit" category as .jpg

I see you said folder.jpg are not part of the limit... what about other .jpg that have other names? Folder jpegs tend to be on the small side anyway... the bulk of my jpegs are back cover, hi-res cover, disc scan, inlay, insert, booklet 1, booklet 2 etc. .jpg.

Administrator

No jpgs are part of the limit.

Even though you have reached the limit for non audio files, your audio will continue to backup, at the end it will show what is left.

Upon release (not too long) we will offer the ability to purchase some additional non-audio backup space.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Even though you have reached the limit for non audio files, your audio will continue to backup, at the end it will show what is left.
    Well Spoon, old buddy... it seems that .aac files are considered non-audio by AudioSafe. I looked through the error log more closely and found a few of my .aac files being excluded as non-audio. Sure, I could go ahead and rename them all to .m4a or whatever, but considering that DMC has an AAC codec, the idea that .aac files are considered non-audio is a bit odd, dontchya think?

I don't have time to really look deep at the moment, but it is possible that some other rarely used codecs are also not on the list... and would thus account for my premature reaching of the non-audio files limit.

I really think you guys need to re-think the entire non-audio policy.

The whole idea of a beta test is to get feedback so you can improve before rollout. I guaruntee you that I will not be the only person with a big and diverse enough collection to run into this problem. And, I can tell you that it kinda sucks. Either my entire collection (pdfs, docs, txts, pngs, aacs and all) is backed up, or this is an incomplete solution for me. Since hard drives are so ridiculously cheap and large, I would not even consider paying extra for more storage, either. Your solution has to be easier, cheaper and more painfree than having double redundant hard drives (possibly storing one in a safe deposit box or some other reasonably safe external site.)

I already have a backup solution that includes a remote, net enabled hardrive (no computer even necessary) that backs itself up
    and only took a tiny fraction of the time AudioSafe is taking to upload. Many days my collection will grow faster than AudioSafe is backing it up...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just to keep this info up to date, I can now report that certain zip files are also not being backed up. (.rar .zip .7z etc.)

While, it is probably not necessary for me to keep such files in an active collection anymore, they tend to be remnants of the early days when storage space was more of an issue. I used to take large booklet scans (the kind of files that you probably only need to access once in a very long while) and zip them up to save space.

I realize that such archives might afford the opportunity of sneaking truly non-audio related files into the backup... but I think perhaps a size limit on any non-audio file would probably be sufficient. Maybe say a 50mb limit on any single non-audio file.

I suppose you guys will wind up doing whatever makes most sense to you. Naturally, the .aac files being considered non-audio is a bug and needs fixing. Perhaps you will open up other graphic files to have the same status as .jpg as well. And, I don't see why a zip file full of jpgs should be any different than actual jpgs.

I recommend scrapping limits entirely and simply stipulate that all non-audio files must be connected to the collection in question.

This may bring up sticky issues like people who feel that the .avi of a film or concert needs to be with the soundtrack, but considering the constant expansion of hard drive sizes... I really think that quibbling over megabytes is not becoming of any real backup or storage solution.

That is my feedback... take it or leave it.

Spoon, Tho I understand your situation I have some of the same concerns as JahSun.

In the CD, DVDA and SACD rips part of my collection most of my cover art is of the form Folder.jpg so you have me covered there.

But in the downloaded section of my collection there are .pdf linernotes and not only cover art jpgs, but (sometimes), back cover jpgs, liner note jpgs, etc... Obviously Folder.jpg doesn't work for the download part of my collection at all. Right now my downloads are only 21 Gigs, but that 21 Gigs of music also has 80 Megs of liner .pdf notes, 5 megs of .jpg covers and 13 Megs of other crap.

Certainly as time goes on I'm more likely to get highres downloads that low res CDs

My experience indicates that a fixed limit is a bad idea but a % based limit would probably work just fine.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Update:

Restarted my computer and AudioSafe went through and did a re-check as it should...

Only, this time the list of files that it would not back up was substantially different than the last time. I suppose the fact that I am adding new folders to the watched folder could account for this, but it is a weird and IMHO serious issue in that it is now somewhat unclear to me which files are (or are not) included in my backup.

I finally hit 100% a while back (sometime after starting this thread), and as I mentioned before, I still haven't included some of my larger audio file folders in this thing. My lossless folder will surely have a huge number of files that will buck up against this limit, as I am fairly meticulous about adjunct text and picture files. Seeing as I had hit the limit before even finishing the basic lossless folder, I guess all of my non audio files (sans folder.jpgs) will be excluded.

I realize that only one other person has chimed in here seconding my feelings about this, but I guarantee you that we will not be the only ones put off by this non-audio file limit as it stands.

I hope you find some amicable way to work around this without expecting that people will just cough up an (as yet undisclosed) amount of $'s to store the relatively paltry number of pdf, doc, txt and non folder.jpg pics that are littered throughout any sizable collection.

Just trying to be helpful here.

I am running the WHS 2011 version. When adding new albums, I now get the messages that the pdf (usually the booklet) could not be uploaded beacuase the storage quota for non-audio files was exceeded.

However, when I verify with my audiosafe client, I am informed that the non audio-files are about 480 MB (.pdfs plus some kB for .txt; I have excluded the other file types such as .bmp, .m3u, .doc, .xml etc.).

Any idea. Thanks, adca1

Administrator

You have reached the non-audio file limit and no further non audio items will be uploaded.

thanks for the rapid clarification. adca1

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Non-Audio File Limit

What is the non-audio quota nowadays? I have close to 900 megs of .zip in there, but some .log's are ruled out (... maybe dBpoweramp-created files should be allowed as audio). Not to complain, it just looks strange that I haven't hit anything close to a round figure.

By the way, feature request: copy to clipboard the list of non-audio files.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    What is the non-audio quota nowadays? I have close to 900 megs of .zip in there, but some .log's are ruled out (... maybe dBpoweramp-created files should be allowed as audio). Not to complain, it just looks strange that I haven't hit anything close to a round figure.

By the way, feature request: copy to clipboard the list of non-audio files.
    It is there already:
    - open the client
    - click on "see problematic files"
    - click the 1 button, that says "copy report"

Quote Originally Posted by toyzrme View Post
    It is there already:
    - open the client
    - click on "see problematic files"
    - click the 1 button, that says "copy report"
    The function is not available in the WHS2011 version, although it would be very helpful. (Spoon, please!)