title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

C2 Error Pointers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oubadah
    • Jun 2012

C2 Error Pointers

I have an HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH10LS20 drive and I'm trying to set up accurate rip.

'CD ROM Technical Details' reports "C2 Error Pointers: Yes".

I tried to do the permanent-marker-on-CD test, but it immediately told me it was supported, not 1/4 of the way through the test like it's supposed to. Same thing happened when I did the test with a perfect unscratched disk, if that means anything.

so I tried enabling 'C2 Pointers for Error Detection' anyway, but when I ripped a brand new disk with that setting it did two passes per track and then said something about re-ripping frames. It took ages, and by the third track it was giving up with errors.

I disabled 'C2 Pointers for Error Detection', and now the tracks rip in one pass and are all verified "accurate".

So can I assume that the drive doesn't really support C2 Error pointers after all, or did I set it up wrong somehow?
  • pablogm123
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2012

Re: C2 Error Pointers

Don't worry. It is a known issue, Hitachi-LG DVD writers based on Renesas chip in SATA format (PATA units doesn't expose this issue and C2 pointers works just fine) expose this problem in AHCI controllers, they report a lot of frames as bad falsely. There is two workarounds which I tried and alleviated this issue: Swith SATA controller to IDE mode (Warning!, do not do this if writer and boot hard disc share the same SATA controller, OS may not boot unless you revert to AHCI mode) and enable 8 KB transfers (the option below C2 pointers checkbox). Or only disable C2 pointers support, if Accuraterip can verify ripped tracks you can pretty sure that everything is fine.
    Last edited by pablogm123; 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Oubadah
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by pablogm123
      Don't worry. It is a known issue, Hitachi-LG DVD writers based on Renesas chip in SATA format (PATA units doesn't expose this issue and C2 pointers works just fine) expose this problem in AHCI controllers, they report a lot of frames as bad falsely. There is two workarounds which I tried and alleviated this issue: Swith SATA controller to IDE mode (Warning!, do not do this if writer and boot hard disc share the same SATA controller, OS may not boot unless you revert to AHCI mode) and enable 8 KB transfers (the option below C2 pointers checkbox). Or only disable C2 pointers support, if Accuraterip can verify ripped tracks you can pretty sure that everything is fine.
      Thanks again.

Comment

• Hotdog
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Nov 2015

My Matshita DVD-RAM UJ880AS drive has the same problem. Does it matter that I've kept the settings for C2 support, as below? Will the rips already marked as 'Secure' be OK? Should I change the settings to those without C2 support?

Moving up the options page, to Ultra Secure:

If your drive supports C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 1 Maximum Ultra Passes: 2 End After Clean Passes: 1

If your drive does not support C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If the actual test does not detect them, then C2 is not supported.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2015

The test did detect them. But with them turned on, the rips come up as Errors. Turned off, it is fine, and I get Accurate Rips.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

On an unscratched disc, c2 being on should not alter the data in anyway, if you are getting errors then c2 is not properly implemented.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Nov 2015

So do the Pass settings need to be changed??

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

If your drive does not support C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2015

It says it does when testing with a scratched disc, but then rips all tracks as errors. So what do you suggest? I hope the tracks that were already ripped as Secure don't need to be done again.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

C2 is not supported on your drive, if it indicates C2 on an unscratched disc, then it is not working.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
                        C2 is not supported on your drive, if it indicates C2 on an unscratched disc, then it is not working.
                        So in that case I will set it to Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2.

Hopefully I don't have to do the other Secure rips again. The Accurate ones are probably more reliable.

Comment

• Hotdog
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Nov 2015

I now have an external drive which doesn't support C2 detection (SATA connection so I don't think it works), whilst my internal one does. I can change the settings for the C2 Ultra Passes, but it then sets that for the internal drive too, so unless I keep changing the settings each time I use a different drive, I'm not sure what to do with this. Any advice what to do other than continually changing the settings as and when I use each drive? Or I suppose I could just use the new external drive for ripping CDs, but I might sometimes want to try a disc with the internal drive.

When I tried testing for C2 errors on the external drive it just took a very long time, without a conclusion, so I decided not to turn the option on, as I had read that with a USB connection it might not work.
                          Last edited by Hotdog; 01-22-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

You can save ripper settings separately for each drive. Give each a different profile name, and then just choose the profile you want. See:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[2].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	293282
                            Last edited by garym; 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Hotdog
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Nov 2015

Thanks, I've done that. Of course, it doesn't automatically switch to the different profile when a certain drive is used - I assume. So I have to remember to switch between profiles if I'm using a different drive.

Comment

Working...

]]>