title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripnas restore - password not accepted

Unhappy Ripnas restore - password not accepted

Hi there. I have a Ripnas 500GB NAS (from about 2010), and a RipNAS HFX 3TB micro storage with Raid. I have experienced ongoing issues with drop outs on music streaming, to both a Sonos and Linn Akurate DS - so after upgrading everything on the network path (and everything Spoon recommends on these forums that I could find) with no resolution, decided to complete a system restore on both units. I have the Rescue CDs 1 & 2, and tried to follow online instructions, only to discover that Rescue CD 1 generates a restore wizard rather than the Windows screen noted on the Ripnas restore help file.

Worth noting that the disks were manufactory defaults R1.7 and WHS connector, model: ripnas [secure] R1.7. I followed the wizard, restoring the system partition from the system partition on the CD, then navigated back to do each data partition (resized to fit original partition size) in turn, first the data partition on the original RipNas, then on the extended storage. This all appeared to work correctly, and the unit rebooted - though with system checks as it said the disks needed to be checked for consistency. However, now it won't accept the standard password (ripnas="serial no"), so I can't access my NAS to recopy over my old music files (or do anything else). Is there a standard password when you've restored from rescue disk? On choosing to shut down after the unsuccessful login, it advised it was installing 13 updates before shutting down. On rebooting again, it still prompted to check disks for consistency, and then still refused to accept the standard password (and started installing another 64 updates). I would appreciate your help in resolving this!

Administrator

Re: Ripnas restore - password not accepted

Try ripnas=0

if that does not work, contact the manufacturer direct please:

http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=c...=158&Itemid=28

Question Re: Ripnas restore - password not accepted

Thanks Spoon! That didn't work, but the manufacturer has shown me where to download a new Rescue Disk 1 to try. They've also recommended I download a new image (Ripnas 1.7c) to replace Rescue Disk 2, but I can't find this online anywhere. Do you know where to find it? Presumably I could use this image for both the original Ripnas and the associated 3TB microstorage? Their last recommendation was to upgrade the Ripnas RAM - have you heard of that helping to resolve audio dropouts (assuming I can get the units back up and running)? Thanks again for your help!

Administrator

The manufacturer would better placed to answer your questions here.

More memory can help prevent system paging, so potentially can help.

Hi! Saw the post - have same prob - still not solved it... But. Remote connection from my Mac using user:sonos and passwd: sonos at least got me in to the music. Maybe you guys already knew....

Do I have to set the WHS up from scratch again? Did a restore with the *1 disc.... Now just saving my music.... If so - how do I log on since the bl..dy RipNas doesn't recognize my keyboard (except for once!) but it seemed to want a new password etc again...

Quite exhausted on this...

Administrator

Please contact www.hfx.at directly