title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset UPNP - Artist Sort Handling

Asset UPNP - Artist Sort Handling

Hello supporters of good music quality ;-),

I've just installed a media player called Raumfeld and started to play around with the Advanced Configuration of Asset UPNP.

- Here I found, that "Artist Sort Handling" set to "Display in Sort and Non-Sort Locations" does not work for the Non-Sort Locations.
    For example an Album of Norah Jones appears only in "Artist/N/Norah Jones", I'd expect to find it in "Artist/J/Jones, Norah" as well.
    I did restart the server process as well as I did force a rescan of the music library. What am I doing wrong oder am I misinterpreting the description?

- My new media player supports up to 96kHz / 24 Bit FLAC files. I did configure "L24 (24 bit LPCM) Support" and set the "Maximum" option to 96 kHz. Some files have 192kHz/24 Bit. As I just read this option is for "up"scaling only not for "down"scaling. Is there a way for "down"scaling from 192kHz to e.g. 96kHz?

Best Regards
    -Mike
    Last edited by Mimetz; 06-18-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Re: Asset UPNP - Artist Sort Handling

Sorry, the above 2nd point was not correct:
    The downscaling to 96kHz does not work. The album I have ist 192kHz/24 Bit and the player supports up to 96kHz/24 Bit. Selecting the files plays the title for 3 seconds and then stops immediately. Any ideas?

Best Regards
    -Mike

Administrator

"Jones, Norah"

Only if it has an ArtistSort tag set to 'Jones, Norah'

What is your player? it is very unlikely it can play L24.

Thanx Spoon,

I wasn't aware there exists a tag called "ArtistSort". I'll go and check for it.
    If I understand you right, selecting "Artist Sort handling" will sort "Norah Jones" and "Jones, Norah" only if Artist is set to "Norah Jones" and ArtistSort is set to "Jones, Norah" or the other way around.
    Alternatively I could create two Artist tag fields each having one of the entries.
    Right?

L24 is not what I thought it would be.... sorry for the mistake. I don't need to select this feature in my environment.

Getting back to solve my second issue: Automatic downscaling / resampling FLACs files with 192kHz/24 Bit to 96kHz/24 Bit should work when I set the "Maximum" option to frequency 96kHz. Right?
    If this does not seem to work I should take a look at the log files.

Thanx for any hints

-Mike

Administrator

>If I understand you right, selecting "Artist Sort handling" will sort "Norah Jones" and "Jones, Norah" only if Artist is set to "Norah Jones" and ArtistSort is set to "Jones, Norah"

Correct

The log file will show what is being served, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >If I understand you right, selecting "Artist Sort handling" will sort "Norah Jones" and "Jones, Norah" only if Artist is set to "Norah Jones" and ArtistSort is set to "Jones, Norah"

Correct

The log file will show what is being served, yes.
    Hello Spoon,

just read this article as I am trying to get the same issue solved. However, does it mean that I have to do this (add and complete the Artist Sort field) on each previously ripped CD separately? If it needs to be done "manually", do I have to do it (see the example of Mimetz) in the following way: "ARTIST SORT = Norah Jones\\Jones, Norah" to ensure that I will find the albums of Norah Jones in either way, means look-up/search for "Jones, Nroah" (search under "J") and "Norah Jones" (search under "N")?

Alternatively, do you plan to enhance Asset that the program can do this automatically (as an option, similarily to the "smart artist handling")? Or, are you aware whether any kind of software does exist that can handle this automatically (adding and filling the relevant fields)? Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

On another note: I am running Asset (registered) at a separate PC, using Win7 Ultimate. Sometimes Asset seems to not recognize an added album. If I than request the program to detect changes/refresh, a pop-up windows appear but nothing is going to happen except if I push the "Edit" buttom and re-start Asset. Occasionally it further happens that the "Genres" are build-up incorrectly. You may re-call my previous request of tagging as I thought that this is being caused by using the wrong separators (i.e. "\\" iso ";"). Meanwhile I recognized that a track that has been originally tagged with "Tag&Rename" is being interepreted differently with "MP3 Tag" (and vs.) but to ensure a complete tagging, I need more than just one program. Any idea of what I am going to make wrong? My collection at present is about 750 CDs/10500 tracks - as you may understand, any manual intervention is very time consuming...

Thanks and kind regards, Dirk

Administrator

No only one sort value is supported so you would enter Jones, Norah and set the option to show in sorted and unsorted location. Each disc has to be done manually.

Thank you Spoon,
    one more question about this feature. As it is confusing looking at the list of Artists like: Brian Jackson, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, Norah Jones, ...
    I'd appreciate to show the list of Artists the way they were entered in the ArtistSort tag: Jackson, Brian; Jackson, Joe; Jackson Brian; Jones, Norah (the other way around). Could you make this happen optionally in Asset UPNP?
    Thanks ... looking forward for any enhancement
    -Mike

Hello Spoon,
    probably nobody coud get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimetz View Post
    ... As it is confusing looking at the list of Artists like: Brian Jackson, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, Norah Jones, ...
    I'd appreciate to show the list of Artists the way they were entered in the ArtistSort tag: Jackson, Brian; Jackson, Joe; Jackson Brian; Jones, Norah (the other way around). Could you make this happen optionally in Asset UPNP?
    I do have a library of serveral thousand titles. The Artist tag is actually set to Artists like: Brian Jackson, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, Norah Jones, ...
    I'd appreciate in having them sortet as printed above as well as sortet the other way around like e.g. "Jackson, Bian" ...

The only possibility for this is to put the artist name multiple times in the artist tag like "Brian Jackson\\Jackson, Brian" and "Joe Jackson\\Jackson, Joe" etc. I'd appreciate in using the Artist Sort tag for this. If I put in the artist tag "Brian Jackson" and in the artist sort tag "Jackson, Brian" I do find the title at "Brian Jackson" as well as at the position where "Jackson, Brian" would be expected. But there I do find a the title with the artist name "Brian Jackson".

Having multiple Artists with the last name "Jackson" this would show the titles listetd in the letter "J" as: "Brian Jackson", "Joe Jackson", "Michael Jackson", "Norah Jones" , ... where I would expect a J in the first column. This looks chaotic and does not help finding the artist / title.
    I'd like to see an _option_ where the Artist Sort Tag would be handled like a second Artist Tag.

I hope I could transfer my idea and this this idea could find a way to the next release of Asset UPNP.

-Mik

Administrator

>I'd like to see an _option_ where the Artist Sort Tag would be handled like a second Artist Tag.

There already is this option, 'show in sorted and unsorted location'

Hello Spoon,

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >I'd like to see an _option_ where the Artist Sort Tag would be handled like a second Artist Tag.

There already is this option, 'show in sorted and unsorted location'
    What I mean is not the same as the mentioned option: It shows the Artist entry additionally at the _position_ of the entry in the Artist Sort tag.
    In the list of artists with the letter "J" it looks ugly like:
    "Brian Jackson"
    "Joe Jackson"
    "Michael Jackson"
    "Norah Jones"

where I would expect all entries beginning with the letter J at the first position.

I'd appreciate having the opportunity / option to use the Artist Sort tag not only as as sort tag but additionally as a second Artist tag. So if I would enter in the Artist Sort entries like
    "Jackson, Brian"
    "Jackson, Joe"
    "Jackson, Michael"
    "Jones, Norah"
    everything would look allright.

Alternatively I have to put this variation of the artist name as a second Artist tag in the music file.

I hope the explenation did help you to understand what I mean.

Thank

-Mike