title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Flac files are too large for CD; What to do?

Flac files are too large for CD; What to do?

I am a new user of dBpoweramp (probably obvious from my question) and need help burning flac files to CD. The problem is that most of the flac albums are larger than the 700 MB size of the CD. Even the files that contain substantially less than 74 minutes of music are too big. I assume that this is due to the embedded metadata in the files. As expected the CD writer is telling me that there will be a large overburn. I have not proceeded to try to burn the CDs because I want to get it right before doing so. What should I do to burn a high quality CD using the flac files? I realize that this is a very basic question; however, I did not find it addressed in the FAQ section. I will appreciate any help you are able to provide.

Administrator

Re: Flac files are too large for CD; What to do?

Convert the flac files to 44 khz 16 bit 2 channel, before using cd writer.

Hello Spoon,

I am embarrassed to say that so far I am unable to figure out how to do that. I do not see any option like that in the menu options. I would also like to be able to burn 24 bit CDs to play in a Meridian 24 bit CD player. Are you able to tell me which conversion option and media are best to do that. I apologize for asking such basic questions but I am a beginner with these procedures and want to learn how to do it right. Thanks for your help.

Edited to add: The flac files that are producing huge "overburn" issues are 24 bit (mostly vinyl rips). Perhaps I do not need to "convert" those to burn the 24 bit CDs, but only use the right media. Are DVDs best for that; if so, is any particular kind best?
    Last edited by becket; 06-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Administrator

You would right click on a flac file, convert to >> wave and select 44khz 16bit 2 channel

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You would right click on a flac file, convert to >> wave and select 44khz 16bit 2 channel
    OK, I will work with this a bit. Thanks for your help.