title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitrate query

Bitrate query

Hello,

I am a bit of newbie with this so apologies if its an obvious answer:

I have 320kbps .mp3 files but when I connect to Asset via MediaMonkey UPnP it is displaying the files as 40kbps, also I'm getting the same issue when running BubbleUpnp on Android with BubbleUpnp Server connecting to Asset.

I haven't knowingly set any transcoding on.

Any ideas why this is so, something somewhere appears to be messing up the bitrate displayed?

In MediaMonkey directly it shows the files as 320kbps

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Bitrate query

As a test try Asset Control (from the beta section of this forum).

I tried Asset Control but unfortunately do not really understand it, it doesn't seem to render to my Android phone or my Philips stereo correctly - or rather I could not get it to.

How would I display the bitrate within Asset Control?

Administrator

I think there is an option in the configuration program, then browse to the tracks and it shows bitrate along side each track name.

Ok got it, that shows the bitrate correct.

So maybe its an issue with how both MediaMonkey and BubbleUpnp server speak to Asset then, perhaps some interface problem?

Administrator

Perhaps, ask the bubbleupnp author to investigate please.

Some more testing.

This time using MediaMonkey as my upnp server rather than Asset.

Connecting to it from BubbleUpnp for Android via BubbleUpnp server and also from MediaMonkey and Windows Media Player on another PC and they all correctly display 320kbps.

I would test from WMP direct to Asset but for some reason WMP cannot find Asset on my network...

Perhaps I need to rescan in Asset.

I'll also speak to the bubbleupnp author.

I also have this problem. Asset upnp (newest version) running on generally QNAP works fine. However when streaming to several Chromecast Audio devices controlled by the Bubble Android UPNP app via WiFi there is one key exception. Bubbleupnp indicates that it is playing a 40 kbps MP3. Bubbleupnp also shows four streams available, none of which is the original 320kbps CBR mp3 file. Other Android players also show 40kbps, so it is not just a Bubbleupnp issue.

Conversely, another UPNP server on the QNAP sends these along just fine. Windows Foobar plays these files fine too via Asset when hardwired via an ethnernet connection.

FYI any other bitrate CBR other than the maximum plays correctly with this setup, as do all VBR files I have tried. There's no bandwidth issue here (I think) as Asset sends along FLAC files correctly and seamlessly. All 320kbps CBR MP3 files play at 40kbps or so via Asset, including those created by dbpa.

Administrator

Perhaps you have configured .mp3 files to stream as MP3 which would transcode them, instead you need them 'as is' on the configuration page.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps you have configured .mp3 files to stream as MP3 which would transcode them, instead you need them 'as is' on the configuration page.
    Everything is marked "as is", including mp3. As mentioned, this only happens with 320 kbps CBR files. All other .mp3 files arrive as originals, whether CBR or VBR.

Administrator

You can enable the debug mode in Asset and that will show how the files are being served, I would not think Asset is changing the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can enable the debug mode in Asset and that will show how the files are being served, I would not think Asset is changing the file.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give that a try. Only in the case of this particular kind of mp3 file, something certainly is in the chain producing four available files for streaming via the Bubbleupnp android app, as I can access any one of them.

OK so I ran a debug as suggested. Requesting one 320kbps CBR file via the Bubbleupnp Android app and streaming just to the local device (a tablet)this is what the log file shows:

Content Range: -1 to -1
    Opening audio file: /share/Music/Ragtime/Adam Sawnson/Ragtime Revival/01. Waffles.mp3

Streaming File Untouched [5794988 bytes]: /share/Music/Ragtime/Adam Sawnson/Ragtime Revival/01. Waffles.mp3
    Serve Entity Set to: audio/mpeg

===========ProcessFileRequest================
    http://192.168.1.65:26125/content/c2...CA7FDC251A.mp3
    =============================================

Content Range: -1 to -1
    Opening audio file: /share/Music/Ragtime/Adam Sawnson/Ragtime Revival/01. Waffles.mp3

Streaming File Untouched [5794988 bytes]: /share/Music/Ragtime/Adam Sawnson/Ragtime Revival/01. Waffles.mp3
    Serve Entity Set to: audio/mpeg

Seems to be trying to send the original. But that is not what shows up in Bubbleupnp,rather the options two distinct 41kbps mp3 files, a WAV file, and an L16 file. Could "Serve Entity Set to: audio/mpeg" being giving Android a problem?

Administrator

I doubt it. Asset does offer alternatives for control points, try setting to 'as single' then will not get the other options, however it looks like bubbleupnp is doing the transcoding?

I am definitely out of my depth here but think I am getting somewhere.

Looking at the debug logs from playing a 320 kbps CBR mp3 file and a 256 kbps one I see in each case there is a get request for two audio/mpeg files, an audio/L16 file and an audio/wav file. When playing the 256 kbps file through Bubbleupnp this is all disregarded and the original mp3 file is played. However, with a 320 kpbs file Bubbleupnp instead sees these four files and not the original: two roughly 40 kpbps mp3s, a WAV file and an L16 file. I can even play the WAV file, which has a name like this: d-782....... ...forced.wav.