title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Copy Protected CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McLion
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2012

Ripping Copy Protected CD

Hi

I have a CD that is "Copy Controlled". Any suggestion on how to set up dBpoweramp to successfully rip this CD?
    After dozens of tries, it still does not rip one song. The funny thing is that it's a different song than CDex cant rip.

Thanks
    McL
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping Copy Protected CD

CD Ripper >> Options >> Defective by design

Note not all CD drives can rip protected CDs.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• AllanQuartet
      • May 2015

Hi,
      Recently tried ripping to flac a 'Copy Controlled' CD of KT Tunstall's- 'Eye to the Telescope' it failed using DBpoweramp. Here is an alternative method that worked for me.
      If you still have Windows Media Player installed?, try Ripping in WMP using .WAV format, make sure that other Media and Ripping programmes are not open.
      All tracks played using JRiver MP.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by AllanQuartet
        Hi,
        Recently tried ripping to flac a 'Copy Controlled' CD of KT Tunstall's- 'Eye to the Telescope' it failed using DBpoweramp. Here is an alternative method that worked for me.
        If you still have Windows Media Player installed?, try Ripping in WMP using .WAV format, make sure that other Media and Ripping programmes are not open.
        All tracks played using JRiver MP.
        It's great to find a solution to that particular issue. I've never experienced it, but I'm sure it's very annoying when it occurs.

It's worth adding, however, that many dBp users have found, over the years, that Windows Media Player can cause all sorts of issues with their files. It's a very intrusive, controlling program that will alter metadata and album art on existing files if you're not very careful with its settings.

So if WMP is a viable alternative for ripping these "protected" CDs, users should be cautioned to compensate for WMP's problematic behavior if running it on the same computer as the one where dBp is installed or where your audio files are stored. (Personally, if I had to occasionally use it for a problem CD, I'd do it on a different PC and then copy the files over to my dBp computer and convert.)

Comment

• McLion
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
          It's worth adding, however, that many dBp users have found, over the years, that Windows Media Player can cause all sorts of issues with their files. It's a very intrusive, controlling program that will alter metadata and album art on existing files if you're not very careful with its settings.
          WMP indeed is a "terrible" program. Even if any option to NOT manipulate any files is turned off, it still automatically starts to replace existing folder.jpg in all music library folders with its own low resolution folder.jpg of 200x200 pixels - not just where it is missing, it is replacing existing - thats a PITA.

Comment

Working...

]]>