title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Just bought it

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamslides
    • May 2012

Just bought it

I just wanted to let you know I bought dbpoweramp. Basically I don't feel the album art it retrieves is very good, I'll scan that stuff myself if I like it that much :-p I consider this feature useless. I also would like to say I consider the tagging features rather useless, for the most part. The reason is that it's usually not right, I mean if you review the back of the CD insert. However I do have some interesting ideas.

Might I suggest that you begin creating/offering a dbpoweramp database, solely for users, one that would not just contain track listings but also scans of the CD insert with the tracks listed? This method would allow users to verify that indeed the tracks are listed accurately without error. Users could also upload their personally scanned album art to this database and make it available for all others to use as well. I feel this offers the best future for dbpoweramp and while Perfect Metadata is interesting in concept, there are issues. I'm not knocking this utility as it's very unique and does rip appropriately (Accurate Rip) tags etc.

For the most part I just keep tags of what I can verify on the CD inserts etc., not secondary sources. This would be the ideal method IMO.

Anyways thank you all for the hard work on this utility, it's by far wonderful.

If you did such a database it would be mostly users that contributed, and in a few years would be the most accurate around and the ONLY one that had scans of the track listings that PROVED they were correct.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Just bought it

artwork - yes, some CDs have only low quality found, but others find 1000x1000 very good quality. You do know how to click the "choose art" button to search for other artwork automatically then sort on quality?

tags - wow, my experience is very different from yours. The PerfectMeta multiple database comparisons is the best I've ever seen for tagging sources. I have ripped over 5,000 CDs, and I'd say 85% automatically have perfect tags, and another 10% have mostly good tags, with some minor correction needed from me. Only about 5% has something really off. And I have plenty of non-mainstream stuff.....

And what you are suggesting be done is basically accuraterip and perfectMeta tag databases that ALREADY ARE BEING USED. So I'm actually quite confused by your comments and bad experience.

Comment

• dreamslides
      • May 2012

Originally posted by garym
      artwork - yes, some CDs have only low quality found, but others find 1000x1000 very good quality. You do know how to click the "choose art" button to search for other artwork automatically then sort on quality?

tags - wow, my experience is very different from yours. The PerfectMeta multiple database comparisons is the best I've ever seen for tagging sources. I have ripped over 5,000 CDs, and I'd say 85% automatically have perfect tags, and another 10% have mostly good tags, with some minor correction needed from me. Only about 5% has something really off. And I have plenty of non-mainstream stuff.....

And what you are suggesting be done is basically accuraterip and perfectMeta tag databases that ALREADY ARE BEING USED. So I'm actually quite confused by your comments and bad experience.
      I didn't really have a bad experience, just find meta providers lacking in accuracy over-all.

I'm suggesting that a database be established in which you MUST upload the back of the CD with the track listings in order to submit them. And that users would be responsible for starting this from scratch. Users would also be able to review the uploaded scan to give them assurance the tracks are not incorrectly entered. Perfectmeta is merely a combination of all meta providers and attempts to choose the most common elements, etc.

With such a system you could review the scans of the track listings if you wished to check accuracy but also if users found mistakes they could be corrected and explanations for the change could be added. If allowed time to propogate (a few years) from end users it would be far superior to any meta providers currently active. It would've given you NO ERRORS unless of course the CD wasn't in the database yet.

Example: dbpoweramp user scans track listings from artwork -> user enters track listings through online interface -> user submits entry with image of track listings -> entry is public for dbpoweramp users.

You could include other information from the CD if you wished like year, etc. but the requirement would be it MUST have a scan proving it's correct along with the entry. If users spot errors they could then be fixed and offer reasons for the change.

I didn't really figure this would be of interest, but I wanted to share my thoughts on it. Thanks and I do love this utility tc I'm watching House 2 (horror)
      Last edited by dreamslides; 05-20-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Hmmmm. I guess I'm missing something, but you've just described freedb. This is a tag database that is populated by users submitting the information. And this is one of the perfectmeta databases.

Comment

• dreamslides
          • May 2012

Yes, but they offer no proof they entered the track listings accurately without omitting anything, I'm suggesting a database where users cannot submitt this without a scan of the actual listing from the CD itself. Far different.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

aha. I see you want an actual jpg file submitted with a scan of the CD's track listing. OK, I now at least understand what you're seeking. But in my humble opinion, this will never happen. And again, to reiterate, virtually all my 1000s of CDs managed to get the correct tag data by ripping with dbpa, including lots of music from small, independent labels. So the data can't be that bad.

Comment

• LamoLam
              • May 2012

~~~~~~~~~

I'm new here , nice thread!

Comment

Working...

]]>