title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Flac to Mp3 conversion produces choppy mp3's sometimes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John_Dumke
    • Apr 2008

Flac to Mp3 conversion produces choppy mp3's sometimes

Within the last several weeks I have noticed that files ripped to FLAC using dbpoweramp (verified with accurip or secure mode), and then converted to Mp3's sometimes, not always, produce a choppy sound. It is clear that the file was not converted properly. This does not happen all the time, only sometimes.

I have tried re-installing dbpoweramp. changing some of the settings on the Mp3 conversion window. Making sure files were on my local computer rather than converting them when they resided on my WHS, and playing them with iTunes rather than WMP, and only converting one file at a time, instead of in batch mode.

My settings for the dbPoweramp Music Converter are:
    Converting to mp3 (Lame) Target: Quality (VBR)
    estimated bit rate: 190kbps
    Enoding (Slow - High Quality). I changed this from normal.

Options : none

The Codec Version is 3.98.4

My example file that I am trying to convert right now actually aborts in about 10 seconds even though the song shows as at 2:23 in length. I also noticed that I can jump to a location within the Mp3 and play after it aborts. Yet there is still choppiness in the recording, and it aborts sometimes after the initial abort.

I have a music collection of over 70,000 songs, and only recently had I noticed that quite a few of the Mp3's (created from FLAC's) were corrupt in some manner. Some of the things I thought that it could be?

Conversion of files residing on a WHS 2011 machine running stablebit drivepool. This doesn't seem to matter, as I move the file to my local client machine, and the problem still happens locally. I only thought this might be a problem as Drivepool was set to duplicate new files on the fly, and I just updated this machine from WHS V1 about 2-3 weeks ago.
    About one month ago, my machine was BSOD 'ing during conversion. The CPU heatsink had become unseated, and temperatures were rising quite high. dbPowerAmp music converter, was the only program aggressive enough to uncover this problem, as there are 8 cores (hyperthreading on a 4 core processor) that run simultaneous. I immediately bought an aftermarket heatsink and installed with new thermal paste and all is good now. Could the processor have been damaged? No other programs act weird and temperature monitoring shows the temps in spec? It is a Nehalem 920, 1366 socket processor, and this machine has been in service for 2 plus years.

That is all I can think of right now. What else should I be checking?
    Last edited by John_Dumke; 04-23-2012, 02:54 AM.
  • John_Dumke
    • Apr 2008

Re: Flac to Mp3 conversion produces choppy mp3's sometimes

UPDATE
    PROBLEM ISOLATED - VBR causing issues
    I suspected that VBR was causing a problem, because the choppiness occurred during transitions in music complexity. I changed the conversions settings from VBR to CBR, and got a clean conversion, on a particularly troubling flac file.

Should I just be avoiding VBR?
    Why has VBR worked for years using dbPowerAmp, and now I am having problem?

The issue seemed to be somewhat album dependent, where if the first song was screwed up, then the second song was screwed up.

The only other new item, I have changed was I added a new drive. I have two existing Plextor Drives in my computer a PX-850SA and a PX-880SA. About 4 weeks ago I added a 3rd CD drive, a Plextor PXL-890SA, could the new CD drive be an issue?
    Last edited by John_Dumke; 04-23-2012, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Flac to Mp3 conversion produces choppy mp3's sometimes

The file is most likely without issues, rather the issue might be the player?

Convert the mp3 with dBpoweramp to WAVE and try to play the wave file, if there is no choppiness then the mp3 was fine, and yes avoid vbr.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>