title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: accuraterip key disc list

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

accuraterip key disc list

Hi,

Is there a way I can see the updated accuraterip key disc list (because the one here: http://www.accuraterip.com/keydiscs.htm is not updated anymore) so I can search it to see if I have a key disc?
    Then I don't have to try every CD I own in dbpoweramp to see if it is accepted as a key disc, but I can just look up the title of the CD and try it.

thanks in advance

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: accuraterip key disc list

Pick 6-12 discs of what you think are the most 'common' albums you have and try them.

Even if a list of key discs is posted, just because you have an album on that list, does not mean you have the same PRESSING as the one listed as a key disc.

This is probably why the key disc list was abandoned... that there are multiple pressings of albums which may or may not be a 'key' disc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Teknojnky
    Pick 6-12 discs of what you think are the most 'common' albums you have and try them.

Even if a list of key discs is posted, just because you have an album on that list, does not mean you have the same PRESSING as the one listed as a key disc.

This is probably why the key disc list was abandoned... that there are multiple pressings of albums which may or may not be a 'key' disc.
    I really don't understand the exact use of accuraterip then. Does accuraterip compares the CRC of your ripped tracks with the tracks of other people (to verify if they are correct) or does it also determines the CD drive offset or does it do both things?

thanks in advance!

Administrator

Both, but it has to do the offset before it can check against others.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Both, but it has to do the offset before it can check against others.
    I was also wondering what happens when I don't use accuraterip (because I don't have a key disc). Will the fact that my CD drive offset is not set (because accuraterip is not configured) influence the secure ripping?

I was also wondering why you can't manually setup the CD drive offset (http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm)?
    EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) has the option to setup the CD drive offset manually. Why doesn't dbpoweramp have this option? (There are CD drives with more then 100 results from people who all have the same CD drive offset so I think it's accurate that that particular drive has that CD drive offset).
    I think it would be a nice option for people who don't have a key disc to configure accuraterip like me. If dbpoweramp had that option, I just could set my CD drive offset by looking at the list (http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm) and everything would be fine.
    It's possible I never would buy a key disc so probably I can never use accuraterip then :cry:

Maybe this option can be added to dbpoweramp in the future?

thanks in advance!

Administrator

Offsets do not overly effect secure ripping, only when you want ot reference the rips with other drives.

EAC will not use AccurateRip unless AccurateRip finds the offset.

EAC has an option of creating a CD drive offset. You don't need a key disc for that. EAC will "write" an offset disc for that. I think it is an excellent feature which should be incorporated without delay into dB as well. Everything else looks excellent in it. Moreover, saying that a rip is accurate simply because it compares satisfactorily (read high confidence level) with others' rip of the same CD is not a very accurate statement in itself. Accurate rip won't be able to tell if your rip is in fact the most accurate of them all, and it might be at that. I seriously don't, therefore, understand the utility of Accuraterip. As long you have a drive offset feature enabled and working, I think you are in good stead.

Just a question: Both in EAC and dBpoweramp, I have checked the option of overread into lead in and lead out with drive offsets enabled, which is logical since I am using drive offsets. Is that OK?

If your drive supports reading into the lead-in and lead-out, you will be fine.

As for AccurateRip, if 80 people got the same rip as you, then it seems that your rip was accurate, as it is statistically improbable that your rip was bad if the checksum matched theirs.

Administrator

>Moreover, saying that a rip is accurate simply because it compares satisfactorily
    > (read high confidence level) with others' rip of the same CD is not a very accurate
    > statement in itself. Accurate rip won't be able to tell if your rip is in fact the most
    > accurate of them all

If your rip matches other rips, then it is identical, you have no 'one is more accurate than the other'

EACs offset cd will only find the combined write and read offsets, not just the read offset. Only by using 2 drives you can find the offset, accuraterip is 1 million times easier

Smile Re: accuraterip key disc list

Hmm...interesting! I don't know the deeper technical details, but accuraterip shows atleast one error in every rip I've tried with it. I checked all the options, and they looked fine. That is a kinda put-off, since there wasn't much I could do about it except re-rip that track or CD again with EAC. Will try to configure accuraterip once again on all the drives (I have 2 installed on my PC). Thanks.

If it says the entire CD is inaccurate and the CD is in good condition, you probably have a different pressing than the one that is in AccurateRip.

I have recently purchased an LG HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29. I know that this drives predecessor, the UH12LS28 had a drive offset of 667 as do all of the Bluray capable drives distributed by LG.
    I keep getting the error, "This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection it does not match the AccurateRip stored disc, or your drive does not exist in AccurateRip and this disc has multiple pressings stored. Please try a different Key Disc."
    So, worst case scenario, my drive does not exist in AccurateRip and this disc has multiple pressings stored. What disc does not have multiple pressings stored in this day and age?!
    Why can we not assume that this drives offset is 667 just like all of its fellow drives and why does this drive not exist in AccurateRip?
    It seems like If your newer drive does not exist in AccurateRip then good luck finding enough "Key Discs" to validate it!!! AccurateRip becomes useless!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least in EAC I can set my drive offset manually.

Administrator

New releases do not, it is likely also your drive would appear on the next update anyhow, if it is popular, then would key off any disc.