title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting HD Tracks to FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brentano
    • Apr 2012

Re: Converting HD Tracks to FLAC

Thank you garym, very much appreciated. Happy Easter to you and your Family.

Comment

• brentano
      • Apr 2012

Hi, I have received the reply from Yamaha, here is it:

"The RX-V2065 will only officially support CD quality audio in the FLAC format being 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Anything above this can not be played back either at all or reliably so is not officially supported. Given the speed restrictions on the USB format you may also benefit from using the network connection for your FLAC playback either from a PC or NAS drive."

What do you suggest.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by brentano
        Hi, I have received the reply from Yamaha, here is it:

"The RX-V2065 will only officially support CD quality audio in the FLAC format being 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Anything above this can not be played back either at all or reliably so is not officially supported. Given the speed restrictions on the USB format you may also benefit from using the network connection for your FLAC playback either from a PC or NAS drive."

What do you suggest.
        replace the Yamaha or move to a SqueezeBox Touch, connected to the Yamaha. It handles 24/96 FLAC files natively.... (Plus, it is pretty clear that they don't understand what they are talking about if they think "speed restrictions" of the USB format keep you from playing hi-rez files).

Comment

• brentano
          • Apr 2012

Hi and thank you garym, yes makes you wonder a bit.
          I have been active on German ebay as there are several Squeezebox Touches up for Auction, problem though is, not to many are open for International participation. The Logitech Touch is pretty expensive here in Melbourne, Recommended at $540.- hopefully I will be able to snare one up for around half that prize.
          In the meantime I think I have to come back to what was recommended to me here at the beginning, that is convert the HD FLAC to CD quality FLAC.
          If anyone will have the patience to explain to me in simple terms how to do that, I would appreciate it very much.

One other question, I have seen several tracks at 192KHz by16 bit, can the touch play that as it is not specified in the specs. Just curious.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

I have been active on German ebay as there are several Squeezebox Touches up for Auction, problem though is, not to many are open for International participation. The Logitech Touch is pretty expensive here in Melbourne, Recommended at $540.- hopefully I will be able to snare one up for around half that prize.
            In the meantime I think I have to come back to what was recommended to me here at the beginning, that is convert the HD FLAC to CD quality FLAC.
            If anyone will have the patience to explain to me in simple terms how to do that, I would appreciate it very much.

One other question, I have seen several tracks at 192KHz by16 bit, can the touch play that as it is not specified in the specs. Just curious.
            ouch. that's expensive (I've paid anywhere from $299 to $199(on sale) directly from Logitech here in the U.S.). The Touch can play up to 24/96. Any 192 file would be automatically downconverted to 24/96 by the touch server software (logitech media server). Although there is a new plugin that someone created for the TOUCH that allows the touch to play 24/192 files without downconverting. (of course, no human being would be able to distinguish a 192 file from a 96 file in a blind test, assuming they are both from the same mastering. that is, some 24/192 files may sound better because the underlying mastering was better on such releases, but if the 24/192 file is downconverted to 24/96, or even 16/44.1, subjects in a double-blind test can NOT ABX the difference in many, many such tests). The 24/192 files are mostly a way to separate audiophools from their money. ;-)

Regarding converting your files, it has something to do with using the DSP bit depth converter, but I'll let someone else chime in on the exact steps, as I've not done this myself.

Comment

• TJJ
              • Apr 2012

I've got a similar issue with my SONOS system, it doesn't support 24-bit FLACs either.

I am using the batch converter to convert them to 16-bit using the "Bit Depth" DSP Effect option. That part is pretty straightforward. Since I've only got a couple dozen to convert, I want to just overwrite the 24-bit version with the 16-bit version, but when I get the "Confirm File Replace" dialog box and I click the "Overwrite" button in the lower write, nothing happens. The button changes color and gives the appearance of being active and available, but doesn't seem to enable the overwrite. I've tried every combination of checking the files and single vs. multiple files selection and can't seem to get it to overwrite the original file. Since I've only got a couple dozen it's no big deal, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong at the same time.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

When you click overwrite, the page should disappear and conversion should start.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• brentano
                  • Apr 2012

Hi, sorry about my slow replies here. Well I have been experimenting with dbpoweramp and I think it does a great job.
                  A couple of questions I do have, when I change Bit Depth from 24 to 16 the program recommends to apply Dither which one do I use Triangular or Rectangle as I do not know what it actually does.
                  Spoon, on your early reply to me you warned me to be careful not to overwrite the high quality, I assume that by that you meant that I keep the original HD file and create a new converted flac file.
                  In my experimenting so far, I can only see my two options of having 24 - 96, or 44.1 - 16.

Comment

• jtbse
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2006

Hi, sorry about my slow replies here. Well I have been experimenting with dbpoweramp and I think it does a great job.
                    A couple of questions I do have, when I change Bit Depth from 24 to 16 the program recommends to apply Dither which one do I use Triangular or Rectangle as I do not know what it actually does.
                    Spoon, on your early reply to me you warned me to be careful not to overwrite the high quality, I assume that by that you meant that I keep the original HD file and create a new converted flac file.
                    In my experimenting so far, I can only see my two options of having 24 - 96, or 44.1 - 16.
                    Dither refers to the addition of somewhat "random" noise to a digital audio signal or file to sonically account for rounding errors (distortion) that can be introduced when converting audio from a higher to a lower bit depth (e.g. 24 to 16).

Defined here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Dither

Rectangular vs Triangular dither refers to how the how the dither is applied to the signal or file. Rectangular is just a somewhat random application of white noise across all frequencies in the signal. Triangular attempts to "shape" the noise and place it amongst the higher frequencies of the signal where it will be less likely to be audible.

Explained further here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Dither

Basically all very complicated sounding, but the bottom line is just adding some noise (that you won't be able to hear) to the file when you down-convert it, to mask any distortion introduced by the conversion processes. To be quite honest, you're probably not going to be able to hear the difference either way.

Comment

• Gitfinger
                      • Jan 2008

...The Logitech Touch is pretty expensive here in Melbourne, Recommended at $540.- hopefully I will be able to snare one up for around half that prize.
                      $380 at Harris Technology new.

Comment

• Gitfinger
                        • Jan 2008

And now $AU265 delivered, at logitechshop.com.au

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by erfvcxc
                          Hi garym, thank you for bringing this to my attention, I had never heard of it before (just shows you how far back I am) I have since done some googling on it and it basically appears a great little device.
                          Since you are a user of it this makes you the target of some questions. My Music setup is quite simple, as I had mentioned it is stored on a external hard drive in 16 different categories with each category in its own folder.
                          Combined there are some 360 albums (so far) comprising of around 4500 tracks of music.
                          What are your questions?
                          Last edited by Spoon; 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>