title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PerfectTUNES discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbpower44100
    • Nov 2006

Re: PerfectTUNES discussion

Hmm from scratch (must admit that I only browsed the whole thread in a rush, so it might have been pointed out already)

Being limited to fullscreen is as if being warped back to windows 3.1, is that intended to remain like this?

subsection album art:
    This gives me the most problems of all subsections.
    I do loose metadata (picture descriptions) aswell as complete picture frames from the tags.

From scratch I'd say the replace works like this (framenames qualify for ID3v2 in the following lines)
    If an APIC frame with type front cover found, get the picdimensions and the pic for displaying after the scan
    If user hits replace, throw "ALL" APIC frames, no matter how many found or which pictype they are
    write a new APIC frame with PicType frontcover
    Done

Against what the final PerfectTunes hopefully does
    If an APIC frame with type front cover found, get the picdimensions and pic for display
    if user hits replace, copy the APIC description of the correct APIC frame (there could be multiple APIC frames in the tag)
    Delete the correct APIC frame only, not simply all APIC frames
    Write a new APIC frame of type front cover using the user selected cover + the pasted picture description
    Done

A couple of postings earlier 'Spoon' said it should be as non tecky as possible.

I must agree that's a wise idea to keep it like that. But if metadata gets lost even the most dumb consumer user would ask if he missed a knob to set it up correctly so that such things won't happen. I'm dead happy I accidently didn't press "fix albums" since it would have resulted in some weeks re-tagging.
    Ok, granted, that's incorrect, since I never ever work with beta versions on my real collection.
    But if it gets closer to become a final I would rate this essential, since programs which produce a loss of metadata are normally not availalbe from the dbpoweramp brand to my knowledge.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>I'm dead happy I accidently didn't press "fix albums" since it would have resulted in some weeks re-tagging.

PerfectTUNES holds all the original tags, so you can undo any fixes made to the files.

The idea behind perfecttunes is not to have back album cover, or liner notes as these are very rare in reality.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbpower44100
        • Nov 2006

I'm aware of the undo feature.
        But ok, I was misguided by it's name then starting with Perfect....

Hopefully you don't start considering what could be removed since rarely used in your other programs for upcoming versions.:smile2:

Comment

• dgs2001
          • Nov 2012

Spoon what does it mean when an album is reported as ripped accuratley, but Perfect tunes shows it as Cannot Check Incomplete ?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Are all the tracks present for that album, and none of the lengths altered?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rowlandhills
              • Jan 2013

Sorry, I've not read all of the posts here, so apologies if this has already been answered, but one situation I've encountered a few times since starting to use PerfectTUNES is finding an album which has the cover art in PNG format with a relevant name but not Folder.png. It's listed as a problem having no album art, and then tries to do a web search to find an appropriate image. Any chance that image files in the local folder could be included in the list of possible images to choose, and any PNGs could be converted to JPG?

This would help with albums downloaded from Linn, for example.

Thanks!

Comment

• Mangix
                • Dec 2012

i'm getting four tracks as corrupt even though foobar2000's verifier shows no problems. i can upload if needed.

Comment

• peaveyman
                  • Dec 2010

So how is the work on the tagging function coming along?

Comment

• CurlyBen
                    • Jan 2013

Just thought I'd register to post a couple of comments on the de-dup tool that's part of Perfecttunes.
                    So far I'm finding it useful - my digital music collection was started a good 10 or 15 years ago and is a bit of a mess now. One of the biggest reasons for this is iTunes' conversion of wma files to aac or mp3. I made the mistake of leaving the wma files in the same folder as the converted files, so if I re-added that folder to iTunes it would convert the wma tracks for a second time. De-dup is working very well for identifying these files, but it would be really, really useful to have some kind of auto-selection of files to delete. I'm applying a pretty simple rule - if the track/artist/album name match and there are multiple formats, I simply pick the highest bit rate aac file. Sounds easy and it is - but with 9,000 duplicate files it would be really useful not to select each file to delete manually!

Also a bit of a bug which may or may not be relevant to the software - I have a dual screen setup with a 1920x1080 display next to a 1400x900 display. Sometimes when Windows turns the monitors off the screen the current window is displayed on will switch. If the window is maximised and switched to the smaller screen I lose the right hand/bottom edges of the window. Normally that's not a problem as I can use the win key and the arrow keys to move the window, but that doesn't seem to work with the de-dup tool.

A quick dbpoweramp note: it would be really useful to me if the batch converter could be set to use the bit rate of the existing file. I'm trying to rationalise all my music into m4a and ALAC and get rid of wma and mp3 completely. The batch converter's great, but I have to choose between setting the bit rate to 128kbps (which a lot of my music is in) and losing quality in higher bit rate tracks, or a higher bit rate and wasting space creating high bit rate files from a low bit rate source. (Worse, I also lose any easy way to identify low bit rate tracks).

Anyway really useful software, hope a bit of feedback's useful and I'm not repeating comments made elsewhere.

Comment

• CurlyBen
                      • Jan 2013

Oh, and an undo function would be dead handy too! (Or ability to select multiple files and then delete)

Comment

• olllive
                        • Jan 2013

Since today I obtain an "error writing to file" each time I try to fix an album art. And I didn't change anything on my folders...

Comment

• eaglescout1998
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2009

Here's a strange one.

I ripped Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man" CD. According the the ripper, all tracks had ripped accurately.

I then ran PerfectTUNES and it reported that two tracks had errors. Foobar2000's AccurateRip (part of the foo_verifier component) reported the same.

As a test, I tried re-ripping the CD. Once again, all tracks ripped accurately with green CRCs across the board (except for the last track; probably because I was using a different drive).

And once again, PerfectTUNES and Foobar2000 reported the same errors.

Billy Joel's "The Bridge" CD has similar problems.

According to the ripper, all tracks ripped accurately.

But PerfectTUNES and Foobar2000 say the disc is not in the database.

Comment

• eaglescout1998
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Apr 2009

Update: I see this issue has already been brought up on Page *8 of this thread (Link). I must have missed it when I tried searching the first time. Sorry.

Comment

• olllive
                              • Jan 2013

Solved

Comment

• RomkeNL
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by olllive
                                Solved
                                May we know what the solution was?