title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: PerfectTUNES discussion

Administrator

Re: PerfectTUNES discussion

>But the matching of 1500 albums without art took seven days. Is that to be expected?

If it has to write the art to a network drive and the files are FLAC yes, as the whole flac file needs reading and writing as the tag is at the front in flac.

It is expected that the list of albums requiring fixes drops as you do the fixes. You can add your own cover buy clicking the 'Fix' button and wait for the internet search to offer some.

Administrator

>My music is stored on an external network server.

I have heard of such during conversions, it is possible your security software is breaking the reading of files...

Found a solution to my problem. Manually added the folders with albums until the program hung again. Uninstalled the program, dleted all of the data files, and reinstalled. Then skipped the folder with the problem files and it seems to be working fine now. Oh well at least it was just 1 album. Kind of a pain but the program seems to be working OK now.

Administrator

That problem album, copy to your local computer hdd then see if perfecttunes will scan it. If it cannot we are interested in having a look at those files.

Thanks for the help Spoon. I actually realized after stepping away from the computer why PerfectTunes was having issues with those files. The server I have is a Windows Home Server V1 and back in the early days I had a hard drive go bad in it which corrupted a couple of music files. Of course I ignored the complaints the server was giving me until PerfectTunes ran into a wall trying to scan them. I immediately remember when backing up my server that it would always complain about not backing up those files, but I would ignore that too out of ignorance thinking that WHS was making it up. But PerfectTunes confirmed when it locked up trying to scan the files that they were indeed corrupt, so I finally just deleted them. I figure two files out ~71,000 is a minor loss. Plus I'll probably reacquire the files again someday. Anyway, after deleting the files PerfectTunes has been running excellently! I think the Album Art part is great. Has made a big difference when my receiver displays the album art on my TV. It isn't all blurry anymore. I'd still like to suggest making it possible to select multiple folders at a time rather than having to select 1 at a time for scanning purposes. The reason is, I am sure I am not the only one who has a large music collection and I have my music organised in folders by artist and then in folders by album that have the actual music files in them. I have been adding my music to PerfectTunes to scan in chunks so that the scanning process doesn't get stopped while I am a quarter of the way through just so I have to start all over. I have been adding, instead, my artist folders to PerfectTunes scan folders one at a time with the current setup of the program because I cannot select multiple folders at a time. One other suggestion, it would be cool if there was an option to fix the album art regardless if there is low resolution or missing album art. The reason is, I use a couple other programs for the tagging of my music, but PerfectTunes gets so much better looking album art (and much better quality) than the other programs that it would be nice to be able to just have a button that says "Fix All" in the all albums option that would do what the auto fix does for when there is missing or low resolution album art. Again thanks for the cool solftware. Been interesting trying it out and look forward to the final product.

A couple of suggestions / feature requests on the Album Art part...

First, is it possible to implement a "delete all art" from this album function - useful where the wrong art work has been embedded; maybe also the button deletes any .jpg / .png in the same directory.

Second, when fixing missing art, couple you add an "import from file" button. Useful if you already have the artwork and/or the web search isn't finding anything and you've scanned it manually.

Generally looks and works great though.

Eloise

Quote Originally Posted by Audio_ELF View Post
    A couple of suggestions / feature requests on the Album Art part...

First, is it possible to implement a "delete all art" from this album function - useful where the wrong art work has been embedded; maybe also the button deletes any .jpg / .png in the same directory.

Eloise
    No need for a delete - just select that album again and search for art again - it will then overwrite the original

CJ

PerfectTUNES beta 8 stopped working. "Period has expired". But on the main page you are offered "partake in this testing".

Administrator

Updated today to beta 9

Does this not work across networked devices? Trying to run this, files are on my nas, and album art isn't being saved. Yes I have privileges to read and write.

Actually I now see that the Folder.jpg was saved, but PerfectTunes Album Art is saying it has no album artwork after I re-start it. I'm saving just as Folder.jpg not embedding it into the Flacs

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1045 View Post
    No need for a delete - just select that album again and search for art again - it will then overwrite the original
    That only works if it can find some artwork. Some of my CDs have the wrong artwork and PerfectTunes doesn't find anything suitable.

Eloise

Will perfecttunes get TAK support? There's an open source decoder as part of ffmpeg if that's needed.

Just tried PerfectTunes for the first time, and I'm very excited and also quite frustrated. Mostly for reasons that have been posted earlier in the thread, but I'll just add my take as well.

After 15 years of collecting digital music in various forms, I finally resolved to rid myself of my CD library last month (keeping the vinyl tho. :D). I used dbPoweramp to rip everything to FLAC, but my earlier digital music had a huge range of formats, quality, age, folder layouts, tagging, etc. I really want to consolidate everything down to the highest quality file, get the id tags right and clean up the folder structures to match the id tags. PerfectTunes sounded like a match made in heaven.

Since tagging isn't here yet I started with de-dup, also one of my largest problems to sort anyway. After a surprisingly short time from my perspective (about 6.5 hours) PerfectTunes had indexed my 60,000 songs. According to it, 14,000 of them are duplicates. I went through the first couple of hundred of matches and didn't find any mistakes. It was annoying to not have the files paths easily viewable while comparing, but other than that the main experience is great.

And now for the pain. There is no way in hell I'm going to go through and click on 14,000 individual tracks to clean this mess up. Not gonna do it. Most of them have perfectly obvious heuristics that could be applied to sort out the irrelevant files. For the rest of them I'd need some way of working on folder trees, grouped files, a rules engine or something else that would let me do this across my library in aggregate as opposed to treating each file as a separate problem.

So for me, the current state shows a huge amount of promise in sorting out a giant problem that I really want fixed, but it's just not usable in it's current form.

What I'd love to see is a flow that integrates AccurateRip, De-Dup, ID Tags all into one flow with folder structure massaging thrown in for good measure:

* Start the process by asking me how I want tagging and folder layouts to work
    * Use De-Dup to find all matches, AccurateRip to eliminate any bad rips, and then pick the highest quality remaining file. If there are multiple, just pick one, it doesn't matter which one anyway
    * Tag the resulting files and move them into my desired folder structure
    * Don't ask me much of anything during this process

I would definitely pay money for that product! Spoon, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take the app and I hope I can de-clutter my library soon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Let me play devil's advocate. I certainly can see why you might think your proposal would be a slam dunk to your problem. However, you have overlooked, or at least not yet come across a problem which requires personal intervention by the user. My collection is only about 13,000 tracks total, and i only had 100 or so dupes show up, but i can imagine multiplying that by 5 to get a feel for your situation. In most cases, your proposal would fix my duplicates, but of those hundred or so dupes in my collection, about 20 were alternate takes or versions of the same song by the same artist. In those cases i absolutely would NOT want Perfectunes deleting any of them or deciding between them. I want to keep both versions. I would object strongly to having the program automatically delete anything.

On a side note, having a possible almost 25% of your tracks show as duplicates is pretty unusual and untypical. Any music player, even itunes, can sort all your songs by title and let you scroll down and delete a lot of the duplicates. I was actually surprised with some of the dupes that Perfectunes found because they were on albums by differently named artists or compilations so a simple scroll through my library did not catch them, but Perfectunes did. This is where Perfectunes shines.