title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help please with some probably dumb newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark57
    • Mar 2012

Help please with some probably dumb newbie questions

I have v14.2 running on a windows 7 desktop ripping to flac on my C:\ drive and then copying to a synology NAS. My CD drive is a HL-DT-ST - DVDRWBD CH20N The object is to get error free rips of my CDs on my NAS to serve to my new Linn streamer.

I have set up the ripper as per the setup guide for secure ripping, although I have tweaked the abort rip configurations as I was getting too many time outs with 10 minutes set.

I have looked around the forum, FAQ and the help files, but still have some questions that I am hoping an experienced hand can help me with.

1) How long should it take to rip a track? I am finding that a typical 3:30 or so track takes 10-12 minutes. Is this normal?
    2) I have set C2 error pointers checked, but if my drive doesn't support this would it be better unchecked? I have tried the black triangle on a CD test and while I get the progress bar it more or less immediately reports an error and says C2 will be used.
    3) Is there somewhere that explains what the output report means such as:

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 11872 (2:38) in 6:08. Filename: C:\Users\Mark\Music\FLAC\J.J. Cale\Anyway the Wind Blows; The Anthology, Disc 1\01 J.J. Cale - Call Me the Breeze.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 6) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1, Re-Rip 36 Frames]
    CRC32: E1B50D93 AccurateRip CRC: F52C879B (CRCv2) [DiscID: 025-00402059-048fb50f-5111e419-1]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 6 [CRCv2 f52c879b]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 41 [CRCv1 134bb254]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 6 [CRCv2 f52c879b]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 41 [CRCv1 134bb254]

What is CRC32, CRCv1, CRCv2, why are there four Verified Confidence reports and why do they have different confidence levels for CRCv2 and CRCv1? What are the numbers after the CRCv1/2?

4) Did I read correctly that setting the HDCD DSP effect on (which I have done) slows it down?

5) I read that ripping to NAS is slow so I am ripping to my desktop hard drive and then copying. But does ripping to NAS slow things down appreciably?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Help please with some probably dumb newbie questions

1. depends, but this sounds too long on average
    2. sounds like C2 not supported. if not, better with C2 turned off
    3. this tells you that your rip matched the data in the accuraterip data base (6 other rips). This is excellent. the CRCs, all variations, are just the "data" that defines the audio content....like a fingerprint sort of, and this is what accuraterip uses to compare
    4. why are you using HDCD DSP effect. And search the forum for this too, as there are some misconceptions and issues about the use of HDCD
    5. ripping to NAS probably slows things down. I rip to a local drive on my win7 machine, then MOVE the files to my NAS (vortexbox appliance) after I've insured that tags, art, etc. are perfect.

Comment

• Mark57
      • Mar 2012

If I turn c2 off and as a result adjust the secure ripping criteria to a minimum of 2 ultra passes won't that slow it down even more?

I am using HDCD as I have a few Linn CDs which may be SACD. Should I turn it off other than for ripping those?

You MOVE rather than copy files. Is that because you don't believe the copy is exact?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mark57
        If I turn c2 off and as a result adjust the secure ripping criteria to a minimum of 2 ultra passes won't that slow it down even more?

I am using HDCD as I have a few Linn CDs which may be SACD. Should I turn it off other than for ripping those?

You MOVE rather than copy files. Is that because you don't believe the copy is exact?
        I doubt the C2 being off will slow down things. not sure. But the goal here is not speed, it is accuracy in any case.

Yes, I would turn off the HDCD DSP for all other disks.

Sorry, I meant "copy" not move. I trust that my copied files are the same as the original...and if I didn't, I can run FLAC verification routines to test my FLAC files in any location to make sure they are "good". I copy them over to my main storage then delete from my computer where I rip. Of course I otherwise have lots of backups of these files...

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

A 3 minute track should rip normally in 30 seconds.

>AccurateRip: Accurate

This is the important one, if it states this, then the track is 100% without error.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mark57
            • Mar 2012

Thanks Spoon. So 10+ minutes is way over the top. Any idea why I'm getting that? Any suggestions to alternate settings?

Comment

• Mark57
              • Mar 2012

Ok. Answering my own questions. Took C2 and HDCD off and its now ripping at speed. Guess I could have tried that first before bothering the forum. Thanks to Gary and Spoon for troubling to reply.
              Last edited by Mark57; 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

1) How long should it take to rip a track? I am finding that a typical 3:30 or so track takes 10-12 minutes. Is this normal?
                A 'typical' track ... depends on whether it needs re-reading of individual frames. Then it can take long time.

AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 6) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1, Re-Rip 36 Frames]
                This one needed to be re-read. No surprise that it took time. But, a success! The 'Accurate' shows that others got the same bits that you did.

4) Did I read correctly that setting the HDCD DSP effect on (which I have done) slows it down?
                Yes. Since the information telling that a certain track is a HDCD, is in the audio itself, then the HDCD DSP has to scan every track to find whether it is a HDCD or not.

I see that you removed the HDCD DSP, which I think is a good idea if you rip to lossless. Reasons elaborated upon here:
                Hello! I'm planning on ripping a bunch of cd's using dBpoweramp and I want to rip everything perfectly the first time. I was taking a look at all of the DSP effects but now I'm left with a few questions. 1. What is the difference between the Hidden Track Silence Removal and the Silence Track Deletion DSPs? I get what they

5) I read that ripping to NAS is slow so I am ripping to my desktop hard drive and then copying. But does ripping to NAS slow things down appreciably?
                It could very well do, especially if you use wireless.

Comment

• Dexter
                  • Jan 2012

Mark,

You may want to check the CD you used for your black triangle test. I had to create a second one. My drives are both HL-DT-ST DVD+-GH50N. Originally I started my triangle's point precisely 1 cm from the spot where the "matrix ring" ends. The C2 test was giving me an immediate positive, just as it is with your drive. The problem is that there is another small ring between the end of the matrix ring & the start of the actual burned digital information. You have to look closely to see it. My triangle was in too close. Per Spoon's instructions, I created a second disc & had the point of my triangle start 1 cm from where you see burned information start - from where you see the disc appear "duller". (Make sense?) By doing this my disc tracks & the progress bar goes about 25% of the way across & then gives me a positive for C2.

Dexter

Comment

Working...

]]>