title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compare MP3 VBR/CBR

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Compare MP3 VBR/CBR

I often convert flac files to MP3 for use on a portable device, or use the multiple codec facility in the ripper to create both flac and MP3.

While space (file size) isn't a big issue for me, I do like to use VBR out of principle, that other things being equal smaller filesize is better.

The question I have, though, is how to compare the reproduction quality of different levels of VBR and CBR. In dbP, for instance, the VBR "extreme" setting estimates the effective bit rate to be 240kbps. How does this compare to CBR levels? Pretty comparable to CBR 320? Higher? Lower?

Not an important issue, just trying to get a handle on how to compare the two formats.

Ron
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Compare MP3 VBR/CBR

The best possible quality for mp3 is 320Kbps from lame, that is the maxiumum bitrate, any VBR will be below that.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: Compare MP3 VBR/CBR

Originally posted by Spoon
      The best possible quality for mp3 is 320Kbps from lame, that is the maxiumum bitrate, any VBR will be below that.
      true of course. but to the OP, many serious users of mp3 files believe are fans of the vbr approach as it doesn't waste space but uses high bit rate in parts of the music that *need* the high bit rates. I too rip to FLAC and then create mp3 copies for use on portables. I use lame -v2 VBR but frankly -v5 would be fine for almost all my music. I can't ABX a -v5 mp3 file from original FLAC. You can test for yourself in terms of transparency with foobar2000 and the ABX component. Easy to do. Also, here's some discussion of CBR vs VBR.

And go here and search on the terms "CBR VBR quality" and you'll see lots of discussion and useful feedback.

Comment

Working...

]]>