title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Avoiding overwrites with same track names?

Avoiding overwrites with same track names?

Hello Rippers!

This problem is popping up now I am ripping remastered CDs with "Bonus and alternative" tracks...

One of the bonus tracks has the same name as one of the regular tracks so the output Flac file is the same as one of the already ripped track and it overwrites the existing one.

Is there a setting in dbpoweramp I am missing to automatically put a (2) or something in the file name to prevent overwriting?

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Avoiding overwrites with same track names?

For disc 2, right click on the track number (for any of the tracks) and add a track number offset, then make sure your naming has track number in the naming value (the default does).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    For disc 2, right click on the track number (for any of the tracks) and add a track number offset, then make sure your naming has track number in the naming value (the default does).
    Thanks, what I have been doing. Any way to make DBPowerAmp do this automatically if it encounters an output file that is going to overwrite an existing file?

Administrator

No, you should set the naming so each album is separate, so have an album name in the file name or folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

- You can use discnumber as part of your naming scheme. (Wrap it in a test for TOTALDISCS greater than 1.)
    Catch: you need to ensure that discnumber is correct. (If you use batch ripper, then you must trust the metadata provider to provide this. Not always the case.)

- You can use [cddb_id] as part of your naming scheme. E.g. Artist - Year - Album title - CDDB_ID/(put the tracks here).
    Then overwriting would only take place if these data are all identical. That could by chance happen if a CD single is released in different mixes with the same length, and you don't put e.g. (radio version) or (remix) in the album title.

- To be damn sure: use [unique] in your naming scheme. That's if you are paranoid. Of course, if you are sure that all folder names have this n-char string at the end, you can write a script (or use e.g. Bulk Rename Utility) afterwards to strip the last n characters (without overwrite).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    No, you should set the naming so each album is separate, so have an album name in the file name or folder.
    But that is the problem, the tracks have the same name on the same album. One in the regular track list and another (or two or three) in the "extras" section with the same name. Alternative takes but they still list it with the same name so the last alternative is the last one to overwrite the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Techbadger View Post
    But that is the problem, the tracks have the same name on the same album. One in the regular track list and another (or two or three) in the "extras" section with the same name. Alternative takes but they still list it with the same name so the last alternative is the last one to overwrite the other ones.
    Two options: Edit the metadata to include "alternate take 1" or something similar to the track name
    Or, use track numbers in your naming scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Two options: Edit the metadata to include "alternate take 1" or something similar to the track name
    Or, use track numbers in your naming scheme.
    That's what I am doing now.

But when doing mass-ripping (6 drives) it really slows things down. I was hoping there was a way to automate that in DBPowerAmp.

dBpoweramp Guru

As I said, use [cddb_id] (may fail on e.g. remasters) or [unique] to the end of your folder name.

Quote Originally Posted by Techbadger View Post
    That's what I am doing now.

But when doing mass-ripping (6 drives) it really slows things down. I was hoping there was a way to automate that in DBPowerAmp.
    Normally when I use smart metadata, songs that are "alternate takes" are listed as such

A_L