title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: RipNAS has not ripped any CD after broadband change and Optical drive replacement.

Exclamation RipNAS has not ripped any CD after broadband change and Optical drive replacement.

Greetings folks,

I am seeking some help with my clients RipNAS box. He has had it for a few years and it worked for about 1 year. He has been trying to get it working for the past 9 months with help from UK Agent "RipCaster" and from the HIFI dealer he purchased it from and also from his ISP which is a sattelite broadband solution due to his very remote location in Scotland.

The problem:

Insert a CD to be ripped and nothing happens, it wont eject from the RipNAS console in WHS. It will eject from my computer though outside of the whs console environment.

The device has had:
    the optical unit replaced
    the motherboard was examined and checked for dry soldered joints
    all RipNAS sotware re installed
    complete restore done from the manufacture rescue cd

Fault persists!

Observations I made:
    Apon boot up of RipNAS there is an error thrown by windows concerning "dbpoweramp Batch Ripper" before and after CD restore.
    All services for RipNAS are started and set to automatic
    All proccess for RipNAS are running in taskmanager
    There is an application in the "installdir" named CdGrab and this works no problem.

Clients observations
    He had his ISP provider changed and they installed a new Sat dish and modem. Faults started after this.
    He sent the device to RipCaster for testing. No faults were found it was ripping CD's non stop with them.
    He took the device 4 miles down the road to a friends house whom has standard normal BR broadband. Again it ripped CD after CD with out any issues.
    He took it home and it once more refuses to rip any CD.
    He contacted his ISP to see if the fault was anything to do with them and I can understand why.
    His ISP are convinced the fault is not them but something else, lengthy email dialouge running in circles and nothing actually being done.

I had a chat with RipCaster and they are of the opinion the fault is his with his ISP and they also advised they need to remote onto his RipNAS to do a reg hack for the replaced optical drive which is what is throwing that windows error.
    I think there is more to it than this, as he would not detail the reg hack to me and was in now willing to mail it to me so I coudl apply it. This is frustrating me!
    I am thus assuming that RipNAS has hard coded machine ID somewhere that details the optical unit. I hope not!

My thoughts, for such a high end and expensive product the support and help and information for it is very lacking. I am honestly hoping that by posting on here I can recieve some support and help and get this mans RipNAS working again for him after all these months!

All the best and I hope to here from some of you in here soon

Cheers Matt

Administrator

Re: RipNAS has not ripped any CD after broadband change and Optical drive replacement

If the ISP requires a proxy server setting, then the RipNAS cannot function with it, as it requires a direct connection to the internet.

Re: RipNAS has not ripped any CD after broadband change and Optical drive replacement

Thanks for your reply Spoon.

IMO no ISP should require a proxy! For that is a can of worms.. and leads to opening up a lot of other debates. How I see it, is that your ISP is that direct connection to all of the WAN services.

I will try and interface with his ISP today when I get onsite.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MGT View Post
    I think there is more to it than this, as he would not detail the reg hack to me and was in now willing to mail it to me so I coudl apply it. This is frustrating me!
    I am thus assuming that RipNAS has hard coded machine ID somewhere that details the optical unit. I hope not!
    My RipNAS had the optical drive replaced by Ripcaster 6 months ago, it now has an ST unit in it. When I got it back it would rip one CD after any reboot and then would not rip any more. This turned out to be due to registry settings, but it seems odd that the first CD would rip. I would have thought it would fail completely. Anyway it seems Ripcaster have forgotten to do the registery change for your client just as they did for me.

I do have the registry file for my machine, in fact they loaded two files with identical contents but different filenames. Looking at the files there is nothing keyed uniquely to the RipNAS itself, but there are registry settings which have the specific optical drive ID string in their names. So you need the correct registry file for the optical drive in use. Also there is a scatter gun approach going on, because there are 24 registry entries for every drive letter from A to Z omitting C and D. It looks like they were covering the possibility of it having any drive letter apart from the ones already in use by the hard disc.

Administrator

In this case taking the ripnas to a different location allows ripping.

Every drive letter is covered in the registry as Windows can map a CD drive to any letter on reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    In this case taking the ripnas to a different location allows ripping.

Every drive letter is covered in the registry as Windows can map a CD drive to any letter on reboot.
    Is it possible for you to send me the IP addresses that RipNAS is trying to reach to get metadata from?

Administrator

freedb.org
    mb.dbpoweramp.com
    dmr.allmusic.com
    https://gdwebservice.getdigitaldata.com