title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3 (Vorbis Comment Requests)

Is Rip to separate flac file + .cue sheet or embedding .cue sheet in the flac file supported in this release?

Administrator

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3 (Vorbis Comment Requests)

No

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Stepping back to R14.2 from the beta version 14.3

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    Gary...

I did post this question on the forum but received only complex, convoluted responses that take several steps not clearly explained. Those explanations were not clear either...and I'm no dummy.

"dvdr" suggested that it was a straightforward procedure to do this, but his/her explanation made no sense. What I'm looking for is an answer, not a place to continue asking questions.

Thanks...

d2b
    @d2b
    I must apologize, I was away for a few days, I did not think, that my answer would not be sufficient.
    Of course, there is the need to dig a bit into how mp3tag works, but YOUR problem does not involve a lot of programming (which IS complicated at times) but only two formatting steps.
    The first step is to import your old tag-values from the field "organization" into a new field called "Publisher"
    The second is (in case you cannot just leave "organization" stored and just ignore its contents) to delete "organization"

For testing purposes, I suggest, you make a backup-copy of a few files and work with them, until you are 100% secure, on what you are doing... btw.: mp3tag also works with rightclick-on-a-folder including subfolders, so it loads all music-files.... or: ctrl-mouse-select only a few files in a directory...

1.) "load" the files into mp3tag
    2.) Use ctrl-a to select all files
    3.) Click the "Action" symbol (it is in the center of the menu bar, the one with "blue A yellow arrow green a", which will open a selection menu. Your option to select is "format value". You will see to lines where you can fill in.
    Top line should be the field you want to create, in this case Publisher
    Lower line should be the values, you want to import, these values are put inside %%
    In your case, it should be %organization% . (btw.: it also could be more than one value, including spacing etc., like %artist% - %composer%; %album artist%/%genre%, just to give an example)
    4.) click ok, then the "import" into the new field should start
    5.) to check, if everything went properly, you can select one file, and click with your mouse on the symbol with the white piece of paper with the pen (the second symbol at the right of the "Action"-symbol). This opens a dialogue, where ALL tag values for file are presented. You should see the old and the new values Organization and Publisher there as well. For mass-tagging, you can of course add custom colums as well - you could create entries for both organization and publisher and put the side by side, which makes controlling them easier, since you see these values in the main window, then.
    6.) now it is time to delete the old value Organization
    7.) again, select all files. Use the smybol "white paper with the pen" again. In the popup-window, you can higlight the value Organization and click on the red X to delete this value. Confirm with ok - there you are.
    8.) ONE CAVEAT: I did not know about the fact, that mp3tag seems to map the values "publisher" and "organization" internally - somebody in a previous post mentioned this. Be careful to follow his instructions to get rid of this mapping by deleting this in "options"/"tags"/"mapping"

Of course, all the abovementioned is appliccable to your entire collection - rightclick on the top-folder and select "mp3tag" from the context-menue - it just takes some time to load thousands of files, but it works.
    This all can be automated, too. If you look at the menue-bar, next to the "Action symbol with the yellow arrow", there is an "Action symbol" with just the two letter Aa. Click on the Aa (NOT on the small black downward arrow right of it. In the popup, you can create an action-group, that will incorporate all required steps. Click on the symbol of the white paper with the yellow star to create a new action group, name it and in the next popup, add the two abovementioned actions by adding them one by one (again using the "starred paper"-symbol): first: format, second delete value. So all is needed later on is calling the new action group with one mouseclick: click on the little black arrow and select your action-group of choice.
    I have about 30 of these defined for a bunch of extensively programmed actions, and it is a big help....

I hope, I could help you with my description. Don't hesitate to ask again, if things should be unclear or I might have made a mistake (I wrote this up without the software at hand).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Re: Stepping back to R14.2 from the beta version 14.3

dvdr...

Thanks. This is very clear now. I appreciate the time you took to spell out the steps. I found that one must be careful not to run this process twice on the same file, because if 'organization' doesn't exist the second time, the publisher field disappears.

-d2b-

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter R14.3

Spoon...

I purchased some tracks from iTunes store and found that according to mp3tag, the files included these tags: DISCNUMBER, TOTALDISCS, TRACKNUMBER and TOTALTRACKS. This is with no custom mapping in the Options/Tools/Tags/Mapping dialog.

Are you really sure you want to change FLAC mapping to DISCTOTAL & TRACKTOTAL? The outdated reference to those tags were only proposals that were never
    adopted formally by xiph.org, from what I can tell. It would be good to have the option of choosing.

-d2b-

Administrator

iTunes store does not sell Ogg or FLAC

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm well aware that Apple will likely never endorse FLAC or Ogg, but that's not the point. The issue is one that manifests itself due to inconsistencies in the metadata field name,the content of the value and general useage rules, or rather lack of rules. In an ideal world, all downloads would use the same glossary to describe an attribute of a track or album. Consistent use of a common set of tag field names would go a long way towards reducing the great number of inconsistencies between formats. Having to map field names and their inconsistent value usage from one format to another would simplify matters and make it easier to achieve consistency for digital downloads and streams.

There really should not be a need to interpret (map) a wide variety of different field names into a consistent human-readable form. At Full Fidelity Music, we are dedicated to the idea of codifying the various tagging methods into one standard, at least for music libraries, that creates the means for searching and displaying an extended set of metadata far beyond listing the name of the artist, the track title and the name of the album along with a wild stab at the genre.

Metadata as seen by the end-user via his or her application should be consistent regardless of file format. For example, every file should include COMPOSER, ARRANGER, ALBUMARTIST, ARTIST (Lead artist(s)), and PERFORMER information. These tag field names can be independent of format and consistent across all of them.

There's no good reason to continue using TRCK=1/7 in one file format while using TRACKNUMBER=1 and TOTALTRACKS (or TRACKTOTAL)=7 in another. So the question remains...where's the wisdom in changing from TOTALTRACKS to TRACKTOTAL for FLAC files?

-d2b-

Administrator

So the question remains...where's the wisdom in changing from TOTALTRACKS to TRACKTOTAL for FLAC files?
    That is our own decision to make, you can disagree with it, or not. Change is sometimes difficult but has to happen for the better, lets hope more programs adopt this standard.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    There's no good reason to continue using TRCK=1/7 in one file format while using TRACKNUMBER=1 and TOTALTRACKS (or TRACKTOTAL)=7 in another.
    -d2b-
    Ahhh, everything becomes clearer. You trolled against the Mp3tag and its users (one of the best taggers and tagging communities around), and now you are trolling against DMC (one of the best rippers and communities around), in order to promote your company. In your view, you and your firm have distilled the knowledge of tagging practices in the past and the many tradeoffs required with any current practical solution into the dumbed-down "it makes no sense...". How in the world did the community get by without you and your "clarity"?

I also read your "mission". Let's assume you have the technical skills to define a new universal tagging standard (big assumption given what you've displayed to date...) - is your business plan to troll and bully to persuade others into adoption? Got a hammer to force others to adopt your views? Are you ignorant of legacy compatibility or do you just not care? Where exactly is this new standard mentioned in the mission? I see use of xiph's intellectual property without any attribution on the website - how much further and longer do you plan to do so, and how impressive do you think that situation will appear to your target customers?

Oh, and in further display of you and your firm's technical prowess and general competence - "data" and metadata" are plural, not singular. If you can't even achieve subject-verb agreement....

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Bonjour,

Spoon, when is expected the R14.3 please ?

As I have some cds to rip, I prefer to wait the new version.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We anticipate R15 will commence around Christmas time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thg6276 View Post
    Bonjour,

Spoon, when is expected the R14.3 please ?

As I have some cds to rip, I prefer to wait the new version.

Thanks
    :smile2:

Administrator

R14.3 will release this week hopefully.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    R14.3 will release this week hopefully.
    Cool. :komisch12