title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch ripper as a windows service

Batch ripper as a windows service

Dear Spoon,

The idea is to use batch ripper in a system:

-Without a monitor attached.
    -Without a user being currently logged in.
    -With as less user intervention as possible, like the RipNas....
    Just insert the disc and of it goes.

I was wondering if it is possible to run DBPowerAmps Batch ripper as a windows service with correct user login privileges?
    I've tried it using the commandshell option in dotnet c* with the option of showing no window and with the commandline option -Autorip
    What happens is that:
    - Batch Ripper starts but no CD is ripped.
    - Task Manager shows additional processes running that were started by the batch ripper but they are not terminated when the command is given to close the created process (with commandshell).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.....

Administrator

Re: Batch ripper as a windows service

It is likely the CD Ripper is waiting for an OK to find the offset of a drive, hence RipNAS has these values preconfigured for all possible drive letters for known teac CD drives.

Thanks for the reply Spoon.
    Is it possible to give BatchRipper a preconfigured set of parameters (like on the RipNAS) belonging to the currently attached CD/DVD rom drive?
    And after that, would it be possible to run BR as a windows service and start/control/log the ripping process?

Thanks in advance...

Administrator

Not easily as the registry entries have to be moved to the network service account.

Hello Spoon,

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm sure I am not the first one to ask this, but is it possible to tell me which registry entries need to be moved?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator

The whole HKCU\Software\Illustrate

needs copying to the registry section that is the network service section of the registry (it is in different locations depending on which windows you run)

Thanks again for the reply.

I intent to use a different user account.
    Could the registry section also be moved to another section of a user profile with appropriate privileges?

Administrator

You are best configuring everything in the account you are going to use (through Gui).

Thanks again Spoon,

With your help I was able to build a system that is capable of ripping CD almost unattendedly, so without having to login. It just sits there and rips and rips and rips... excellent!.

However, in order to keep it running unattended, would it be possible to purchase a license for metadata retrieval/albumart retrieval that does not have to be renewed annually?

Administrator

R14 does not need annual renewing.

agab, i know this is an old thread but any chance you could create a walkthrough on how to set this up? I used to have a Vortexbox which was perfect for cd ripping, however i've since moved to WHS and i've been searching for a method of auto ripping cd's ever since.

Ripnas seems ideal but since i already have the hardware i don't fancy spending more than needed for effectively the same thing.

Dear Marvt74,
    Sorry for the late reply. Just have not been active on this forum for a long time. Perhaps you already found the solution but i'll post my solution (in pseudo) here just for everyone to try. It's not that difficult at all once you know where to look.
    The only thing necessary is common sense, some programming knowledge and some registry knowledge. Try the following at your own risk:

1) First create a windows service (I use .net environment) with proper login credentials.
    2)Have this service listen to start and stop requests from another program on the same platform by means of IPC (i.e. remoting/Wcf or web service).
    3) Use methods to start and stop processes on your windows machine. (.net: Use System.Diagnostics.Process namespace to control processes and use Windowstyle=hidden)
    4) Locate the batch ripper.exe on your machine and control the start and stop of this executable by means of the methods described in 3).

Now the registry part (tested on a windows 7 and a windows XP machine).
    Try the following at your own risk:
    As Spoon already indicated:
    In order to have the batch ripper running without UI or without login you have to make sure that:

1) You have configured the drive responsible for ripping using the config section of DBPoweramp CD ripper.
    2) Export the HKCU\Software\Illustrate registry entries to a reg file.
    3) Edit this reg file and Find/Replace all the HKCU\Software\Illustrate entries with HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Illustrate. (S1-5-20 represents the network service profile at least on my machine)
    4) Save the modified reg file.
    5) If you are absolutely certain you have modified everything correctly then double click the reg file and confirm the question windows will ask you.
    6) Now batch ripper is setup to run in the background.

The things that really did the trick were:

The windowstyle.hidden
    The proper login credentails for the service
    The configured drive prior to exporting registry settings.
    The modification of the reg file just exported.
    The imported modified reg file.

Good luck.

agab,
    I bought a HP microserver and installed WHS 2011 and my old Plextor drive together with illustrate asset software, this was in may...
    Ever since I have been seeking a solution to have the CD:s ripped automatically. It is very cumbersome to have to log into the server to rip a CD. Unfortunately I cant make much out of your post above.
    I guess there is no layman way to achieve the auto-rip function?

All the Best
    Joacim

Hello,

I have read it with full interest but as long as I can Export the registry entries, I can't import them at a different place.

I also can't make any copy/paste.

Do you use another software than regedit ?

Thanks

As Joacim,

I have a WHS2011 and as remember with RipNAs'es they had dbpoweramp integrated in the WHS console but now I have purchased the only DBPoweramp version availbale and it does not go to WHS console.

Please can you help ? Is there WHS of dbpoweramp that I did not find?

ASSET WHS 2011 is working great. It is just the batchripper that doesn't work fully automatically.