title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I add artwork to m4a & can I do it in a commandline

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNW
    • Mar 2011

How do I add artwork to m4a & can I do it in a commandline

Hi,
    I'm looking for a way to add a picture.jpg into an m4a file but I can't get it to work with [ID Tag Update].

I have an audiofile on the i:\ drive as well as a 'picture.jpg' on the i:\ drive.
    I right click the audio.m4a file and use dbP converting to [ID Tag Update] using tab 'Manipulation'
    Import album Art from i:\picture.jpg

When I convert, there's no album art. Other settings (like deletions) work fine. I even tried 'Export album art to' from a m4a file which already had album art and that exported a jpg file, so [ID Tag Update] seems to work

(I'm using R14).

And if I get this to work .... is it possible to create it also using a commandline. If so.... which commandline is necessarry?

(I do now use coreconverter.exe to convert from mp2 to m4a, which works fine, but I need to add album art as well)

Thanks for your time and attention.
    Last edited by RNW; 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: How do I add artwork to m4a & can I do it in a commandline

Originally posted by RNW
    I have an audiofile on the i:\ drive as well as a 'picture.jpg' on the i:\ drive.
    I right click the audio.m4a file and use dbP converting to [ID Tag Update] using tab 'Manipulation'
    Import album Art from i:\picture.jpg
    Rename picture.jpg to Folder.jpg or cover.jpg.

Set 'Import Album Art from' to Folder.jpg or cover.jpg. Try again.

Comment

• RNW
      • Mar 2011

Aw.... THAT simple :komisch9:. Thanks a lot....... Now I see what's wrong.

I should not use the path i:\picture.jpg, but place the .jpg in the same folder and just leave the path out of the settings....
      Got my artwork
      .... but now for the second phase ..... can I get Coreconverter to do this .....

Comment

• RNW
        • Mar 2011

Got it.... thanks to CDGrab & registry

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP>coreconverter.exe -infile="i:\audio.m4a"-outfile="i:\audio.m4a" -importart="test.jpg"{qt} -convert_to="[ID Tag Update]"

Make sure that the .jpeg is in the same folder as the audio file.

Comment

• Dave C
          • Oct 2010

I'm struggling here - I think you are talking about my problem but I'm not getting it.

Update - I was trying this on an Android Tablet and the art was not showing - I have just downloaded a different player (Poweramp) and all the artwork is there so it looks like it is all going well - I'll leave this here for anyone else wondering why their artwork is not appearing in the default Android player.

Original post follows - now irrelevant - batch converter works beautifully

I have about 4,200 FLAC files organised in folders arranged by album - every folder has a "Folder.jpg" file in it and all created using dbPowerAmp CD Ripper.

As with RNW, I convert these files to MP3 or Apple Lossless for a range of player options using dbPowerAmp Batch Converter.

It looks like the folder art is being correctly stored in the Apple Lossless files however it isn't being carried across to the MP3 files (that I am setting up so that I have a smaller file).

I'm reading about [ID Tag Update] however I can't seem to see that anywhere - I thought I had ALL of the dbPowerAmp products (which by the way I think are fantastic!)

What am I missing?
          Last edited by Dave C; 01-27-2012, 12:20 AM. Reason: Problem solved - no issue with Poweramp

Comment

• churchid
            • Feb 2012

Is there some other restriction that would prevent this from working for me? I want to do exactly this, but when I run coreconverter, it just happily executes and the file remains unchanged. Very frustrating!

What I execute (both Song.m4a and Folder.jpeg files exist in the current working directory of my command prompt):
            C:\Directory\with\all\files\in\it>"C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\CoreConverter.exe" -infile="Song.m4a" -outfile="Song.m4a" -maxart="500x500 pixels" -importart="Folder.jpeg" -convert_to="[Id Tag Update]"

It would be wonderful if someone could point me to somewhere that these tools are documented (both coreconverter in general and plugins like [ID Tag Update]). The information in the forums is helpful, but is not, and should not be, a substitute for actual documentation of how to use the software - even the esoteric bits like coreconverter.
            Last edited by churchid; 02-16-2012, 05:41 AM. Reason: Clarification of my question

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

[ID Tag Update] cannot be used on CoreConverter.exe as it is a virtual encoder.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• churchid
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
                [ID Tag Update] cannot be used on CoreConverter.exe as it is a virtual encoder.
                So if it's not possible with a virtual encoder, is it possible to add art as part of the process of encoding from, e.g. wav to Monkeys Audio? I would presume it's different than setting tags, which are text only and don't include the image file. I realize it's not hard to come along later and use the Edit ID Tag option from the right-click menu, particularly since the latest version appears to have fixed the problem of not being able to add an image to multiple files at once. However, I already use a script to convert my recorded tracks with all their other tags, and it would be nice if the album art wasn't its own special step. Consider this a feature request, and if there's an official and/or better place to submit those, please let me know.

Comment

• dbfan
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jan 2011

Yes you can, with the dsp effect ID Tag Processing

Comment

• churchid
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
                    Yes you can, with the dsp effect ID Tag Processing
                    So I found the forum post that directed me to this page, http://www.dbpoweramp.com/developer-cli-encoder.htm, with instructions for how to get the DSP effects command line. Doing this I arrive at the following command line, which seems to run, but the resulting file does not include the album art:
                    "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\CoreConverter.exe" -infile="02--Clyde Beavers--Cryin' for My Baby.wav" -outfile="02--Clyde Beavers--Cryin' for My Baby.m4a" -convert_to="m4a Nero (AAC)" -dspeffect1="ID Tag Processing=-case={qt}0{qt} -exportart={qt}(none){qt} -importart={qt}Folder.jpg{qt} -maxart={qt}(any){qt}"

So, is there someplace I can look or step I can take to try to figure out why this isn't working for me.

Comment

• dbfan
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jan 2011

Your in file and outfile should both have full paths, ie c:\somefolder\

Comment

• churchid
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
                        Your in file and outfile should both have full paths, ie c:\somefolder\
                        Success! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...

]]>