title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem with 24 bit / 96khz files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsMyLife
    • Jan 2012

Problem with 24 bit / 96khz files

I'm having an issue when playing 24 bit / 96khz files on Asset.

Asset is seeing these as 3.1mb bitrate and they stutter on my Sony SMP-N100 via wireless.

I play the same files on one of your competitors applications without issue but they are seen at 1.4mb bitrate.

Is the 3.1mb bitrate accurate? Is the other app transcoding them to less than 24 bit / 96khz?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problem with 24 bit / 96khz files

CD Quality is 1411kbps

96 Khz is double, so 2.8mbps, 24 bit is 1/3rd more, so 3.1

1.4mb is 16 bit 44KHz
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ItsMyLife
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
      CD Quality is 1411kbps

96 Khz is double, so 2.8mbps, 24 bit is 1/3rd more, so 3.1

1.4mb is 16 bit 44KHz
      Thanks, that makes sense. Looks like my wireless can't keep up.

May try a wired connection.

Comment

• ItsMyLife
        • Jan 2012

OK, I ran a brand new CAT5 cable to my Sony SMP-N100 and am still unable to play 24bit/96khz files successfully. The file will play but immediately starts "skipping". If I pause the file, as if it's buffering, then I can get another 25 seconds of play or so before it starts skipping again.

So clearly, the Asset UPnP is not keeping up when it's transcoding the file. Is there any way to address this in settings or anything?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

I do not think it is asset, if you set no transcoding then asset does nothing except send the file on the PS3 request (it could handle 10 or 100 such connections depending on hardware).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ItsMyLife
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
            I do not think it is asset, if you set no transcoding then asset does nothing except send the file on the PS3 request (it could handle 10 or 100 such connections depending on hardware).
            First off, it's not a PS3, but rather a Sony SMP-N100 Network Media Player. Since that player doesn't handle FLAC natively, Asset has to be transcoding the file.

Comment

• ItsMyLife
              • Jan 2012

Doing some further research, I converted the 24bit/96khz FLAC file to WAV so my player can play it natively... then I put it on a USB stick and had the player play from there and the files play fine.

In addition, when in WAV format and played via USB, the bitrate is 4.6mbps not 3.1mbps as when they are transcoded by Asset (and don't play correctly).

Comment

Working...

]]>