title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musepack (mpc) R8 (using SV8)

Administrator

Musepack (mpc) R8 (using SV8)

Please note SV8 is not likely to be backwards compatible with older decoders, and as musepack.net says "We don't recommend that you start mass-encoding or converting SV7 files to SV8 just yet. If changes to the bitstream will have to be made, they may break compatibility with files created by the beta version. After the public beta testing period is finished (the period of time depends on the findings) and the final version is released, you could safely encode and convert."

Download:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpow...c-Musepack.exe

591KB

Changes:

Using SV8
    Shows Track / Album Replay Gain values if 0 dB
    Decoder can stream from HTTP
    Last edited by Spoon; 07-18-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Re: Musepack (mpc) R8 (using SV8)

Do I need to be running R13 for this? I installed it under 12.4 and it seems whacked out.

First of all, if I look at the ReplayGain tags on my existing .mpc's, both Album and Track Gain shows as incredibly high - upwards of 170dB for the most part. The Peak readings appear normal. OK, but as you said, "Please note SV8 is not likely to be backwards compatible with older decoders" - so maybe that's the issue, the codec has trouble reading the SV7 tags?

But worse, now I can't get any ReplayGain tags added at all to my .mpc's. If I "Convert to" .mpc from .flac, and tell it to include the RG, it doesn't - even in files that SV7 handled without issue (the tags exist in the source .flac's). Nor can I add the RG tags after the fact to the created .mpc.

- Mark

What the backwards compatible warning means is that if you have a player that uses a SV7 decoder it may not read the files properly.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    What the backwards compatible warning means is that if you have a player that uses a SV7 decoder it may not read the files properly.
    Ok, well, I guess that's not why it's showing the insanely high ReplayGain tags on existing SV7 files.

Something else I noticed - the description of the RG fix implies that it simply was not showing (or attaching) the tags where the Gain value was 0 (zero). I don't believe that was the case. On albums where some mpc's displayed the tags and some didn't, the Album Gain was not zero in the tracks displaying the tags. AFAIK, that value should be constant for all tracks on the album. Now, with the new codec, the tracks which previously showed RG values have the high numbers, and the tracks that showed no value at all display 0.

- Mark

Administrator

Can you give an example (in text) of a high RPG value?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Can you give an example (in text) of a high RPG value?
    Well, for instance, on one track that shows normally with the SV7 codec, "Album Gain" shows as -0.32 dB and "Track Gain" is -0.13 dB.

After installing SV8, the same track shows Album Gain of 166.76 dB and Track Gain of 166.27 dB.

"Album Peak" and "Track Peak" change also, but not to such an extreme: with the SV7 codec, they show as 0.991425 dB and 0.837708 dB, respectively. With SV8, the values are 0.704956 and 0.693512.

As I said, if I reconvert the original .flac with the new codec, it won't apply the RG tags at all, so I don't know what they would be in that case.

- Mark
    Last edited by chileboy; 01-29-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Administrator

Please send me an SV7 file (the one you mentioned above would be great).

OK, done. LMK if you don't receive it, it's about 9MB.

- Mark

Administrator

Replay Gain (SV7) now fixed, note this encoder will not write RG to sv8 files just yet.

Replay Gain (SV7) now fixed, note this encoder will not write RG to sv8 files just yet.
    I'm confused, if I want to continue writing SV7 Musepack with the fixed RG, what should I be downloading and installing with R12? The SV7 codec is the same it's always been, as is the RG.

- Mark

Administrator

Yes you need the old codec in codec central.

Yes you need the old codec in codec central.
    OK, I must be really dense - I'm running R12, and I already have the old SV7 codec, and the old RG codec - which doesn't work. So what exactly has changed?

I'm thinking there's a newer RG codec you're referring to, but the one on codec central is the old one. In fact, even though it says "Release 2" on the page, if you download it, the installer tells you it's "Release 1".

Administrator

The ReplayGain codec never caused any problems, the RG issues were with the SV8 codec (and saving the replaygain).

I'm really sorry, with all due respect, I still am missing something. A previous post said
    So, if RG has been "fixed" for SV7 (the old codec), what exactly has changed if
    The ReplayGain codec never caused any problems, the RG issues were with the SV8 codec (and saving the replaygain).
    Besides, there WERE problems with SV7 and RG, which is what I believe started me down this road, as we discussed in this thread:

Can't add ReplayGain tags to some files

Not trying to be difficult...

- Mark

Administrator

All mentions of SV7 are for this encoder (even though it is an sv8 encoder), you can still edit the replay gain values for sv7 files. The Issue with the existing sv7 decoder + encoder is that it will not display RG values if they are 0.0, they are added though.