title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disks that won't rip

Re: Disks that won't rip

I had a Linda Ronstadt CD that ripped fine in itunes but kept throwing up errors when I tried to rip it using dbpoweramp ... finally ripped it itunes as .aiff files then converted those to FLACs using dbconvertor ... this seemed to work fine but am mystified as to why I couldn't use dbpoweramp from the start.

Administrator

It depends on what errors were shown, if it was 'Insecure Rip' type errors, then dBpoweramp is doing its job, reporting when a disc cannot be ripped without errors, iTunes will silently conceal those errors.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It depends on what errors were shown, if it was 'Insecure Rip' type errors, then dBpoweramp is doing its job, reporting when a disc cannot be ripped without errors, iTunes will silently conceal those errors.
    I plan to use DB for my main ripping functions. But I too am running across a file tracks (not whole disks) that have errors. In a couple cases I cleaned it and reripped and it was ok. But some have consistent errors.

SO....I understand that itunes basically just conceals the errors (so it is NOT solving the issue). Are there any other commonly available programs that do not just coverup, but might do a decent job of, for some reason, getting an error free copy? ...in other words, instead of using different drives, is there a different program that might help (and if it doesn't help will honestly report "error", i.e., not cover it up)

dBpoweramp Guru

try EAC, or secure ripping within Foobar2000

@Frog,
    It seems you're currently using an external drive, right? Is it the Plextor PX-L890UE?
    I'm having the same reading problems as you're having, using the PX-L890UE (external drive).
    On the Plextor forum, some people addressed these reading problems with both PX-L890UE (external version) and PX-L890SA (internal version).
    Up to now, there seems to be no fix for this problem:

http://www.plextoramericas.com/index...-protected-cds

http://www.plextoramericas.com/index...d-not-detected

So if it's the disc that's bad , why do other rippers like Media Monkey rip it fine and dbPoweramp cannot?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aiiee View Post
    So if it's the disc that's bad , why do other rippers like Media Monkey rip it fine and dbPoweramp cannot?
    Does Media Monkey do secure ripping? Report the exact error message you're getting or a screen shot of the outcome of the ripper process (showing 'error' or whatever its showing).

Thanks for the quick response! Not sure about Media Monkey doing secure rips, there is no reference to AccurateRip tho. Here's a report from one of the rip sessions:

OK, I think I'm getting multiple errors confounding the results. Before the error was that dbPa couldn't read the device, then I switched off Windows Defender. Next rip I got a different error where another app (probably Media Monkey ) had the files locked, my bad. Now current rip shows a green progress bar initially then it goes to red. error log as follows:

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\aiiee\Music\Warren Zevon\Genius; The Best Of Warren Zevon\01 Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me.flac'
    Unable to tag file 'C:\Users\aiiee\Music\Warren Zevon\Genius; The Best Of Warren Zevon\01 Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me._'

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\aiiee\Music\Warren Zevon\Genius; The Best Of Warren Zevon\01 Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me.flac'
    Error renaming 'C:\Users\aiiee\Music\Warren Zevon\Genius; The Best Of Warren Zevon\01 Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me._' to 'C:\Users\aiiee\Music\Warren Zevon\Genius; The Best Of Warren Zevon\01 Warren Zevon - Poor Poor Pitiful Me.flac', check destination has enough free space and another program has not locked the file.

EDIT: Still changing config. Media Monkey was interfering. Now rips ok. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by aiiee; 02-17-2019 at 07:41 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ok. All good now. Yes some other program had hold of the files, thus the problem.