title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: RipNAS Solid Optical Drive

Question RipNAS Solid Optical Drive

Hi Spoon
    I have a brandnew RipNAS Solid and have started playing around with it and ripping CD's. The only CD I could rip in secure mode without errors was a brandnew one. All other CD's I have tried (5 different ones which still look very good without scratches) all had errors in some tracks, mostly the first or second track.
    Now I have seen in the device manager that there is a TEAC DV-518GS installed. I thought there are Teac 5000 industrial drives installed in the RipNAS Solid ? Could that be the reason for the bad ripping results ? What can I do to improve ?
    Kind regards, Markus

Administrator

Re: RipNAS Solid Optical Drive

>Teac 5000 industrial drives

I personally tested these drives and discounted their use because they gave more errors than the 518.

Dear Spoon
    thank you for the fast reply. I'm a bit concerned about the quality as this drive retails for only 18 Euros. The Teac DV-W5000S drive retails for 82 Euros. One of the reasons why I went for the Solid was the quality of the optical drive, as I heard of a lot of problems with the Teac Slot-in's.

Administrator

Cost does not equal quality. The all time best drive for ripping through errors (a Plextor 230A retailed for around $30 back in its day, it was 5x cheaper than premium models).

If I wanted to change the drive do I have to re-configure the rip software ? Where can I find these settings and which parameters would I have to change to adapt to another drive ?

Administrator

It is not possible to change the drive and retain the ability to secure rip, as it is all preconfigured (c2, ripping offsets, etc)

But at least I can buy now a spare TEAC DV-518GS and replace the built-in drive if it should break and the warranty period is over ? Or are the settings not only matched per drive type but customized per built-in drive ? Is the firmware version also important ?

Administrator

A spare 518 should be ok, although Teac have been known to change the firmware which changes how the drive is reported.

In this case I would have to change a config file entry or a registry entry ? And if yes where would I have to do that ?

Administrator

If the drive did not match it would not be possible to configure for secure ripping. Your dealer will always be able to supply a drive which functions for RipNAS.