title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch transcoding maintaining same file structure

Batch transcoding maintaining same file structure

Hello everyone,

I originally ripped my entire music collection using dBpoweramp to .wma Windows lossless. I have recently decided to transcode my entire collection to .m4a Apple Lossless and would like to do so without having to pull out all of my CDs again and re-ripping them one by one. I also like the idea of selecting an entire genre in my music catalog and letting dBpoweramp Music Converter perform a batch conversion on them at night while the computer isn't in use.

I conducted a test and the results were less than stellar. dBpoweramp Music Converter transcoded the files correctly, but the resulting file hierarchy got all messed up. Since Music Converter utilized meta tag information from each track to create the new file hierarchy, albums with various artists ended up in seperarate folders (a compilation album with 12 tracks ends up with 12 new folders). Also, a lot of the albums have extended date info in the meta information (such as the actual release date of the album (ex. 10 23 2007) instead of just the year and the resulting new file structure creates an album folder with the entire date instead of just the year. I'm sure there are even more problems I haven't even encountered yet.

I have my catalog setup as follows:
    Genre->Artist->Album(year/title)->Title (track */song title)
    ex. Hard Rock/Seether/(2007) Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces/01 Like Suicide

Is there a way to setup Music Converter to transcode my collection and maintain my existing file structure? Essentially I would like Music Converter to mirror my existing file structure without using meta information.

PS. Please don't turn this thread into a .wma lossless versus .m4a debate. I plan to keep both copies in both formats but need a copy in Apple Lossless for all of our Apple devices. Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Batch transcoding maintaining same file structure

[origpath]\[origfilename]

as the naming

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    [origpath]\[origfilename]

as the naming
    Easy enough. Thank-you!!!

I am new to the batch conversion application as I have been working to rip my entire library to flac and am now considering some other formats.

Where do we input the change to the naming in the application to insure it stays [origpath]\[origfilename]

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pdawg View Post
    I am new to the batch conversion application as I have been working to rip my entire library to flac and am now considering some other formats.

Where do we input the change to the naming in the application to insure it stays [origpath]\[origfilename]

When the music converter popup box opens up, where you tell it the format you want to convert to, there is an "Output To" box in that popup screen, and you enter the naming info there.