title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Will scripting help with this task?

Will scripting help with this task?

I'm new to dbpoweramp (still in trial) and it looks good. I wonder whether dbpoweramp's scripting capability will help me with this task...

I had ripped most of my CD collection to AAC, at a fairly high quality, but I'd now like to re-rip everything to lossless ALAC format. Now, dbpoweramp does a great job at fetching metadata and album art, so it makes this task a lot less painless than it could be.

However, dbpoweramp cannot of course know how I've rated my existing tracks, and I'd like to copy those ratings across.

I've stored the ratings in the AAC files in a tag called "Mike_Rating". So I'm thinking that I can use something like dbpoweramp just to scan each folder in the AAC store, find a matching folder in the ALAC store, and go through each file in turn in the folder (in track order), reading Mike_Rating from source and copying it to destination.

My folder structure should just about enable this. I've stored the AACs and ALACs under a separate root folder, using the same folder naming convention:

Music\AAC encoded\Artist\Album\track.m4a
    Music\ALAC encoded\Artist\Album\track.m4a

There will no doubt be issues with the occasional mis-spelling or different naming, but it should be doable to get the bulk copied across?

I have messed around with scripting other programs in the past, but only really hacking around; any help re dbpoweramp would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Administrator

Re: Will scripting help with this task?

I think you should give it a go, use something like VB Scripting.

Re: Will scripting help with this task?

OK it sounds like it should be possible. It's one of those tasks that, for an inexperienced scripter like me, it will probably take longer to code up something that works than to just copy ratings across manually...