title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mixed Track Order From Ripped CDs: How To Correct

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surflong
    • Dec 2011

Mixed Track Order From Ripped CDs: How To Correct

I'm using the Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy to rip my CD library to two sepaparate hard drives, one FLAC archive and the other working copy WAV. My problem is the track order of the ripped CDs comes out mixed in the hard drive folders. Can someone please advise me in setting up the ripper to output correct song order? Thanks. I hope this makes sense.
  • BillWit
    • Dec 2011

Re: Mixed Track Order From Ripped CDs: How To Correct

I am also about to start to use that methodolgy and am having some problems. I think it sorts on alphabetical title names, but you can change the sort to track numbers. I don't remember this is Windows XP but 7 seems to have it as my older CD album files are like this also. It's in the header fields so I think you only need to change that and the order will be correct. How are you handling the structure? I can't seem to get it to create folders for each CD. Seems like a task to set up the folders for each CD being ripped. I wanted artist folder, CD album folder and then track titles.
    Last edited by BillWit; 12-06-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

You can add a track number in the filename for the naming section:

\[track] - [artist] - [title]
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• surflong
        • Dec 2011

Thanks Spoon. I think I got it. I had [Artist]\[Album]\[Title], and that caused mixed track order in my folders. Now I have [Artist]\[Album]\[Track][Title], and all is well in Rippingville! Thanks!

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by surflong
          Thanks Spoon. I think I got it. I had [Artist]\[Album]\[Title], and that caused mixed track order in my folders. Now I have [Artist]\[Album]\[Track][Title], and all is well in Rippingville! Thanks!
          You may wish to add a space or a dash between [track] and [title], like Spoon's example. Otherwise the filenames are a little awkward to read.

Comment

• Ars Sonoris
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
            You can add a track number in the filename for the naming section:

\[track] - [artist] - [title]
            This does not solve the problem in all cases. Many applications or players (in my case an A/V Reveiver Onkyo TX-NR809 via DLNA) do NOT look to the filenames, they look into the title tag and sort them alphabetically. This is really weird with classical recordings where preservation of the track order is a must. Most of the Metadata from the internet have the correct title tag, but no sort criterion or numbering scheme in it. I did not find a way to edit the title tag automatically so I had to add the numbers (01, 02... - must be 01, otherwise you get 11 after the 1) manually. This is a lot of work when you have to rip several 1000 CD's :thumbdown

So I have an enhancement request for the ripper:

I would really like to have a checkbox 'add title numbers' that does the automatic insertion of numbers in front of the title string .

Eg: change 'Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067- Badinerie' to '01 Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067- Badinerie'

br
            Gerhard

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ars Sonoris
              Most of the Metadata from the internet have the correct title tag, but no sort criterion or numbering scheme in it.
              Do you populate your tracks with the track number tag?

Is [track *] - [title] for album tracks ticked in Asset UPnP Configuration Advanced Settings?
              Last edited by mville; 12-22-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Ars Sonoris
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mville
                Do you populate your tracks with the track number tag?
                Is [track *] - [title] for album tracks ticked in Asset UPnP Configuration Advanced Settings?
                I don't use Asset UPnP, I have a NAS Server with Raid 5 Discs (5x2TB) which has a built-in DLNA Server appliance. So I rip my CD's to a \music\ directory on that NAS.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

I don't use Asset UPnP, I have a NAS Server with Raid 5 Discs (5x2TB) which has a built-in DLNA Server appliance. So I rip my CD's to a \music\ directory on that NAS.
                  If your tracks have track number and the Server or the Onkyo do not use track number and title to sort/display tracks, you could ask them why not.

Otherwise in CDRipper, you can use the ID Tag processing DSP, Rule Based Manipulation on Manipulation tab and add the following:

IF Track=[anyvalue]
                  SET Title=[track] [title]

This however is non-standard.

Comment

• Ars Sonoris
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mville
                    Otherwise in CDRipper, you can use the ID Tag processing DSP, Rule Based Manipulation on Manipulation tab and add the following:

IF Track=[anyvalue]
                    SET Title=[track] [title]

This however is non-standard.
                    ...But it solved my problem. :smile2: Many thanks and Merry Christmas

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2011

Many applications or players (in my case an A/V Reveiver Onkyo TX-NR809 via DLNA) do NOT look to the filenames, they look into the title tag and sort them alphabetically.
                      The player in my car does that....drives me nuts. :( Unfortunately, adding the track tag to the title is really awkward on the in-dash display (which already adds numbers). So I reluctantly tolerate alphabetized track listings.

Comment

Working...

]]>