title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should the upload take?

How long should the upload take?

Started at 9:00am, Currently 5:30pm and the upload app still shows 0% completed. It has shown continuous activity all day (confirmed in task manager network usage). All told the collection is about 400GB. At this rate the upload could take weeks! Is something wrong on the server end, and how can I tell?

Tx!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: How long should the upload take?

Not wishing to tread on Spoon's toes but my collection is a little over 1gb in size - my ADSL has an upload speed of around 1mb; it took from mid-August to a couple of weeks back to get to 60%...

Mick

Administrator

As AudioSAFE fills, its ability to become more efficient at uploading increases, so your upload time decreases.

Thanks! So I guess it would not make sense to show an estimated time to completion, since it will be variable based on the overlap of each new user's music with what's already on the servers.

Mostly I was asking because I don't usually leave my computer on 24/7. In fact it usually sleeps after about 15 minutes of activity. So I guess for the next month I"ll just keep it online. Otherwise this could take YEARS at 15 minutes per session. Useful to know!

I assume that as your server recognizes music it will verify music to be uploaded with a hashcode and not grab anything it already has on it. I suspect that my classical music collection will slow things down, but help someone else in the future. Good deal.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

My collection is about 300GB (mostly rock/pop, quite mainstream I reckon), currently at 55%, been uploading almost 24/7 for about a month now I think. My max upload rate is about 80-90 KB/sec, obviously it averages less.

Unfortunately as early adopters I don't think we'll be the ones seeing the benefits of de-duplication... I assume my AudioSafe is uploading all tracks, if any have been matched as duplicates it must be very few. Some information from the client on this would be useful, i.e. in the UI or a log of which file it is processing/uploading, whether it was matched or determined to be new, etc. It's a bit like working blind at the moment, when you can't see what files you have [in AudioSafe].

I have a 100 Mbit/s line upstream (Speedtest.net usually shows ~85) but despite letting AudioSafe use 100% of it I peg at around 500-600 kB/s. Not too bad, I guess – I'm already at 27% of my roughly 300 GB – but I was hoping for at least a MB/s. Upload speeds to other services, such as Dropbox, are normally around there, sometimes higher. Are there issues, limitations or were my expectations simply a little high?

I, too, would like to see more information from the client.

Well, after 4 days, I'm up to 10%. Seems to be about 75kb/s. At this rate, without any efficiencies (recognized tracks not uploaded), it should take about 40 days for my modest digital collection to upload. I'm not fond of running my computer 24/7 to accomplish this, but it only has to happen once I guess. I think I'd prefer an option to pay to send a hard disk offsite for upload/return.

Administrator

The audiosafe <-> client interaction has a limit upload speed limit where the round trip delay comes into effect, so around 600KB / s is to be expected at the upper limit. The system can handle 100's of people uploading at 600KB/s though.

Is there any way that you could see which file it is currently processing and to see a list of which files are in the "safe"?

Administrator

Not the current file, if you run the restore program, it should show which are in AudioSAFE.

If it takes a very long time to backup, if I need to do a large restore, is it not going to take a VERY long time to restore my FLAC files?

My Music database is currently 757Gb in size. I have just downloaded your software and registered. I started the upload a few minutes ago.

Also, is there any analysis tools available to "look" at the backed up files on your server?

Administrator

Uploads are 10x slower than downloads that is how broadband works.

If you click the restore link it will show what is stored.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    As AudioSAFE fills, its ability to become more efficient at uploading increases, so your upload time decreases.
    How is this possible? Just curious. :o

Another new user that would like to see some more information from the client, i.e. what file it's processing, what has been done etc etc.

At the moment it looks like it's doing nothing.

Administrator

AudioSAFE is designed to run in the background, unnoticed, it is not in the remit to say file XYZ is backing up.

@mville - we cannot go into technical details as it might give our competitors an insight, I will just say that we have the worlds most advanced audio backup technology by an order of magnitude (even when compared to Apples iCloud).