title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with incorrect Bit Rate display showing in Windows Explorer details view...

Question Problems with incorrect Bit Rate display showing in Windows Explorer details view...

This has been a problem for all 3 of my machines, 2 running XP Pro and one running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I think this bug was introduced in V14.0

Basically, in Windows Explorer, look at some vbr MP3 files in "details" view. Right click on the bar at the top to add the "bit rate" column.

When this is showing, the correct bit rate is no longer reported. Instead it rounds the bit rate to a cbr equivalent (not even the nearest one!).

For example:

If I look at a typical ripped CD in Windows Explorer (details view with Bit Rate column displayed), the first 5 files have bit rates shown as:

320 224 256 224 320 when they should be

173 161 173 161 176
    and this continues throughout the column.

I get the same problem in both Windows 7 and XP. This is really irritating, especially as this column used to display correctly.

Any chance someone could have a look? This affects the bit rate displayed for VBR files only. If you hover over each title, the correct bit rate is displayed in a pop-up.

Thanks

WM

Administrator

Re: Problems with incorrect Bit Rate display showing in Windows Explorer details view

>If you hover over each title, the correct bit rate is displayed in a pop-up.

If the popup says dBpoweramp at the bottom then this is the only bitrate dBpoweramp knows of. A bit-rate column is possibly using Windows built-in mp3 decoder, dBpoweramp is not used - this is supplied by dBpoweramp through the 'Thumbnail and Property Handler'.

On my Windows 7 machine, the bit rate column is supplied by dBpoweramp (the bit rates match the popup 1:1, such as 111kbps)

Re: Problems with incorrect Bit Rate display showing in Windows Explorer details view

Aha!

Further investigation reveals there are 2 different Bit Rate columns! I assume one (the one normally selected) is from windows and the other one (scroll down for ages until it appears) is dBpa which does indeed display the correct rate.

Is there any way to force the correct bit rate column to be shown?

Administrator

Only in XP, in Windwos 7 there is only 1 column.