title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How much does secure ripping stress CD-drives?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Saunders
    • Nov 2011

How much does secure ripping stress CD-drives?

Awkwardly framed question, I know. But I put it like this because secure ripping has brought two CD-drives to a standstill recently, and I'm wondering if there are any drives out there that can stand the strain of prolonged secure ripping (that is, ripping of home-burned CDs in the hundreds).

One of the drvies to give up the ghost is an LG bluray drive, the other an Asus Quietrack drive. In both cases the ripping process ground to a halt in the middle of a rip, causing the computer lose contact with the drive. Contact could only be reestablished by restarting the computer, sometimes not even then. Only replacing the drive solved the problem.

The reason I want to rip CDs securely is because I want of course the best rip quality within certain parameters (i.e., it shouldn't take half the day). I believe there's a connection between ripping speed (x4, x 24, x48 etc.) and rip quality. Since I can't adjust the speed of the rip in the burst-ripping mode, I prefer the secure-ripping mode. But if it makes my drives die on me, that's not really an option either.

So my question is: which cd-drives do you recommend for secure ripping purposes?

By the way, I ought to say that I enjoy Illustrate's products very much indeed, not only the ripper, but the converter as well.

(I also ought to say that I scoured the forum for answers to my questions before posting this, but didn't find any.)

best,
    Chris
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How much does secure ripping stress CD-drives?

Not too much as long as you do not let it rip a single track for hours.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Chris Saunders
      • Nov 2011

Cheers.

just to make sure I've understood, what you're saying is don't let the program rip the same track for more than two or three hours at a time.

Well I'll obviously keep that in mind, should the eventuality ever occur.

So which cd drives do you recommend for secure ripping?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2011 AccurateRip collects data from all drives, normally this is only used to verify a disc is accurate, but can be reversed to calculate which drives are the most accurate (as measured by lowest % inaccurate tracks). This test was previously run in 2009 and 2006, as time goes on more
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Chris Saunders
          • Nov 2011

Many thanks for pointing me in the direction of the list - which I had in fact already discovered. But I still don't understand why the secure ripping option (even with the mildest settings) makes the cd drive go off the rails. I'm beginning to wonder if the computer as such is too weak. Here's the lowdown on that:

Processor
          Intel(R) Dual Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz

Mainboard: ASRock H55DE3
          BIOS: AMI (OEM) P1.60 01/06/2010
          Total Memory: 3.68GB DIMM DDR3

Chipset
          Model: ASRock Core (Arrandale) DRAM Controller
          Total Memory: 4GB DIMM DDR3

Memory Module(s)
          2 x G.Skill F3-15000CL9-2GBRH 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-14900U DDR3-1866 (9-9-9-24 4-33-10-5)

Operating System
          Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Business 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)

Am I your only customer with secure rip drive problems?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

A disappearing drive means the drive has internally crashed, it is a fault of the drive firmware. Only getting a different drive, or getting a fixed firmware will fix.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Chris Saunders
              • Nov 2011

Thanks again for your reply. I just thought I'd try ripping securely on an older computer (and CD drive), and there were absolutely no problems. Went without a hitch. Think I'll just transfer everything to that compuet. Seems the logical thing to do.

Cheers

Comment

• Chris Saunders
                • Nov 2011

And just to add, I switched cd drives again, and am using my old one, a Plextor DVDR PX-810SA, and it did a secure rip in almost no time. Just goes to show that cd drives aren't reated equal. Accuracy level is only 97.6, but who's complaining?

Cheers

Comment

Working...

]]>