title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: is there documentation on dbpoweramp's ability to alter content?

is there documentation on dbpoweramp's ability to alter content?

I'm not yet a user, but would like to familiarize myself with the product's ability to alter content of an audio cd. I read that one can fade, eliminate pause times. Can I expect other helpful features related to say creating a dance mix? For example, can the product alter tempos so that the segue from one tune to the next is seemless? Maybe its best to reask the question in the title - is there a document available that describes this area of the tool's capabilities?

Thanks for your help,

Re: is there documentation on dbpoweramp's ability to alter content?

FastFreddy-

dBpoweramp music converter's (dMC) abilities to alter audio content is in the DSP Effects.
    You can find a description of these effects here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp-dsp.htm

As for the overall capabilities of dMC can be found by clicking on the Products icon at the top of this page. dMC comes in at least 3 different versions. You may find some of the other products (Asset and CD Writer, for example) useful as well.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Thanks for pointing out the detailed listing of signal processing options. I see one option with an encouraging name "Resample". Unfortunately, the associated description is a little ambiguous for me. I wonder, to whom should I direct this question to understand if the resampling results in altered pitch or tempo? Logically I would guess it would change tempo, but would the words used (audio frequency adjustment) could be interpretted to mean pitch.

FastFreddy-

The Resample DSP is used when converting an audio file from one frequency (say 44.1 kHz) to an audio file in the same or another format at a different frequency (say 48 or 24 kHz). Sampling rate is merely one of the parameters used by computer software in storing and replaying audio data (along with channels, bit setting and bit-rate. This may incidentally result in a different acoustic quality (especially when converting to lower frequencies where information will undoubtedly be lost). But there are no DSP effects that would allow you to alter pitch or tempo in the musical sense (with the possible exception of the VST effects, which I am not familiar with and which rely on other software). For more information on the possibilities of VST plug-ins see:
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...luginzone.html

dMC plug-ins do allow certain other modifications of tracks including looping, changing the EQ of tracks, trimming tracks or even playing tracks in reverse. But apart from the VST plug-ins, dMC's DSP effects are generally meant to preserve, not distort, audio qualities of music.

Hope this clarifies things.

Bill

A comprehensive response, Bill - I now understand. I'll check out the url you've suggested, and also look around for other options. But I fully appreciate the objective of preserving and not distorting originals. I absolutely want this feature for most of my planned work. The idea of altering tempo is a side project.