title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lame 3.99 release today 10/16/2011

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Lame 3.99 release today 10/16/2011

@ ijskonijn

Look last posts. There is no solution for this moment

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    This version of Lame has an error where it writes the lame header, see the thread on Hydrogenaudio.org
    Quote Originally Posted by ffm76600 View Post
    @ ijskonijn

Look last posts. There is no solution for this moment
    It seems that there isn't a problem with the latest build of Lame.

I asked this question :
    Is it correct that in the latest build of Lame from 2011-11-11 ( http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php ) the error still exist where Lame writes the lame header ( http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...l=1*post116335 )?

Because i saw an error in dBpoweramp ( http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ght=post116339 ) and they say that this was the problem?

This what the Lame developer said :
    The rarewares builds look fine. When dMC still shows "3.98.4", then it seems you haven't replaced the correct file(s). IIRC, you'll have to use the CLI encoder from dMC, if you want to use LAME.exe.

I have only replaced "lame.exe". Isn't that enough?

(offtopic: i can't refer to my post specific because when i type the number sign (the symbol) it changes automatically in a star (*, as you can see) when i click "preview post". So it changes the url)

dBpoweramp Guru

It is lame_enc.exe you have to replace

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@ *********

Where do you find this file ? I have mp3 (Lame).dll in the encoder folder of dbpoweramp and lame_enc.dll or lame.exe in the lame downloaded folder
    Last edited by ffm76600; 11-13-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    It is lame_enc.exe you have to replace
    In the folder "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder" is the file "mp3 (Lame).dll", and in the folder "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\mp3 (Lame)" is the file "lame.exe".
    There is no file named "lame_enc.exe" in these folders.
    Also no file "lame_enc.dll" in dBpoweramp.

And if i unpack the latest build of Lame 3.99.1 from 2011-11-11 (613kB), is included in this folder the files "lame_enc.dll" and "lame.exe". Here isn't also a file "lame_enc.exe".

Quote Originally Posted by ffm76600 View Post
    @ *********

Where do you find this file ? I have mp3 (Lame).dll in the encoder folder of dbpoweramp and lame_enc.dll or lame.exe in the lame downloaded folder
    In the folder "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\mp3 (Lame)" is only the file "lame.exe". If in yours is also "lame_enc.dll" then this is probably placed by yourself trying to fix this problem.
    I don't find the file "lame_enc.dll" in dBpoweramp.

(offtopic: can someone please fix that problem with the changing number sign (or hash key) that i said in my previous post when making messages)

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry for the last post, you replace lame.exe in the mp3 (lame) folder

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@ *********

Already do that and I have same problem :yawn:

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    Sorry for the last post, you replace lame.exe in the mp3 (lame) folder
    As you can read in post "15", i 've done that.
    "ffm76600" as did this also. :rolleyes:

And the problem still exist.

If you replaced the LAME.exe in "encoder/mp3 (Lame)" sub-folder, do encode some random track. Use your file explorer and locate the newly created mp3. Move your mouse over that file and look what info dBpoweramp tooltip gives. When it shows "LAME 3.99.", then you are not using 3.98.4 anymore and your upgrade seems to be successful. Alternatively you can open the mp3 file with some HEX-Editor and jump to the end of file, near the end there should appear some "LAME3.99.1" ASCII text.

When i move my mouse over the file it shows LAME3.99. (no space between LAME and 3.99. , and no digit after the last point).
    Why is this not visible in "dBpoweramp configuration" ?

dBpoweramp Guru

DBpoweramp configuration will be wrong, as it is the version number when last installed, until the beta it will remain wrong.

Another question about the Windows Explorer pop-up information...

Under Encoder Settings, with LAME 3.98.4-encoded files dbpoweramp was able to detect and display the VBR setting as in "-V 2", "-V 4", etc. With 3.99.1-encoded files it shows only 'Variable Bitrate' and the file's average bitrate. Will it be possible to display the same encoding info with the next version of dbpa?

Administrator

The lame header must not be written correctly in this new version, there should be nothing to change at dBpoweramps end as it has worked for the last 5 years on all versions.

The lame header must not be written correctly in this new version,
    You said this before in post "14". Read my post (number) 17.
    there should be nothing to change at dBpoweramps end as it has worked for the last 5 years on all versions.
    Well, it seems to be that there now is a problem.
    It doesn't mean that it has been working for 5 years there still no problems can occur.

After i read your post (14) i 've asked a question about this on the hydrogenaudio forum.
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...t=150&p=775410 , post number 170.
    In post 172 the question is answered by Robert (Lame developer).
    I quote is answer again:
    The rarewares builds look fine. When dMC still shows "3.98.4", then it seems you haven't replaced the correct file(s). IIRC, you'll have to use the CLI encoder from dMC, if you want to use LAME.exe.

So the build (2011-11-11) looks fine now he says.

After the response of Robert i posted a reply in this thread (post 17).

Here (http://www.rarewares.org/index.php) you can read that Lame 3.99.1 is re-compiled on 2011-11-11 to accommodate that correction.

I suppose you also want to solve this problem as soon as possible, and also want to implement the new version of Lame very soon? Or do you still want to continue working with the old version?

I discovered there is also a text file called "mp3 (Lame).txt", located at \dBpoweramp\Versions\Compression\ which contains the Lame version (currently set to "Lame 3.98.4"). I'm guessing that the contents of this text file is placed into the "Encoder" ID3 tag by dBpoweramp. So even if you replace the .exe file with a newer one, the ID3 tag will still refer to the older version unless you update this .txt file too - which is a bit of an annoyance, IMHO. I'd love to have an easier way of updating the version of Lame used by just dropping in a new .exe and not having to change anything else.